XFS21 version of the XF20

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BilltheCat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by BilltheCat »

Hey Jacques .... Is this going to become an option when ordering the XF20 plans?

Gary ............ great and wonderful work. I have friends in Oviedo that would say that's a "shrimping" machine .... lots of nice stable deck, plenty of room for 12Vs. But I think you'll be getting a lot more than shrimp guts on that fish killer!!!!

Waiting for the launch series!

Dave
The secret is in the oooze!

JASmine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JASmine »

Gary
Beautiful work! Is that the Porter texture material that Steve mentioned??? Any comments on it??
Thanks for any insight.

John

fishingdan
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fishingdan »

WOW!!!

gpratt
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by gpratt »

Thanks for the nice comments!

John

Yep the same stuff Steve used in his boat and applied the same way, drywall texture gun. Used small tip and about 70 psi for base coat and 30 psi for spatter coat. Bought a 5 gal pail and pulled out about a gal to have tinted an off color to help hide dirt and stains. Had the base coat tinted to match the access hatches. Used some for practise on scrap cardboard boxes and scrap wood. Never used a texture gun before but it was pretty easy to get a decent patter going. I have about gal and a half maybe two left.

It's Safety Deck made by Dyco.

The stuff went on great. The epoxy surfaces primed with S3 primer. It has a rubbery or gummy consistancy when it's dry. Great non slip surface. Don't know how it will hold up. Time will tell. Hope it does well. Saved a ton of fairing time and looks good. Can says to brush, roll or squeege on. Try that but it brings the git up to about a 10 grit sandpaper if there is such a thing. Way to rough for me. Texture gun was the ticket.

Thanks for the tip Steve !

Randy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Randy »

Gary,
I am always impressed by someone who does things the "right way".

Your boats have provided inspiration and ideas for many of us that are attempting to build our own.

Good fishing,
Randy

JimW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JimW »

Double WOW!

Gary you did an outstnading job on her. I really like all the mods you made and the layout and details look 4.0.

Be very proud!
Jim Wright
CC, D15, SC16, C19

FishTX4Life
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Gah Dang!

Post by FishTX4Life »

I like that ! I thought about turning the XF20 into a scooter design by shortening the gunnels and decking the whole boat. IF ONLY I had the money. The trim tabs do well I guess? I noticed you chose not to use a jack plate. I don't know if you plan to run crazy skinny like folks here in the lower Texas Laguna, but a manual jack plate and a cavitation plate would skinny that bad boy up. The backspacing from the plate would let you raise the motor and the cav plate would keep the water down. I have them both on my OD 18 and I was able to raise the motor several inches higher without compromising performance or water intake. Someone once wrote to the that the OD 18 "aint no skinny" but she runs in less than a foot! without kicking up mud or sand. I love it! great work!

Daniel

FishTX4Life
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by FishTX4Life »

Oh hell I didnt read everything and now I look like an idiot! let me know how it does with the jackplate!

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Gary, that is one fine piece of work :!: :!: :!:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose