Page 1 of 1

XFS21 version of the XF20

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:43 pm
by gpratt
Some new pics for those that may be interested.

http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=319

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:02 am
by fishingdan
Great work as always Gary. What changes have you made/planned that makes it an "..s21"?

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:07 am
by gpratt
Thanks Fishingdan.

I changed the front to be a pointed bow instead of the garvey type front. The bottom is flat except for the first 3' or so which I curved up about 3". Did this to make the boat quieter when fishing the flats. When standing up front using the trolling motor all the chine area will be under water which stops the slapping noises made by small waves and ripples hitting the boat. I have been in a boat that has all chine area submerged and it was dead quiet when slow trolling even in wind chop and small waves.

By putting the point on the bow it extended the LOA by about 9".

I'll also be extending the rear seat all the way to the transom to serve as more casting deck.

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:52 am
by jasonmcintosh
Nics pics and nice work. I wonder how your bow will handle the waves as opposed to the Garvey style.

Jason

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:38 pm
by gpratt
I don't think it will that much different than my OD16 with the step chine.

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:20 pm
by Chalk
I like it GPRATT....Looks kinda like a latiffe skiff.... :D ..Keep them pics coming

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:41 pm
by stickystuff
You ol Dog. Took another idea I had up my sleeve. Looks great. Ought to be a very quiet stalker. Send me your Phone no. I lost the other one.

ken@cmowens.com

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:22 pm
by Boo
Hey G , Looking good ! Very nice wood ! Interesting compartment's you have there !

Might have to make a road trip !!

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:33 pm
by gpratt
Steve

Come on down!

The back seat top will be extended all the way to the transom.

The front seat will be extended to the front casting deck over the area above the stringers. That is where I'm putting my fuel tank(between the stringers). So on each side of that extension there will be a seating area.

Will see how it all works out.

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:04 pm
by Boo
G ,

Ur making some great progress with the new design I see ! You'll be catching red's and buckets of shrimp before you know !!

I'll try to give a call soon , as I'm on vacation this coming week to attend to our baby the " Intense 1 " .

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:28 pm
by gpratt
Steve

Enjoy the vacation and give me a call for sure.

Later

Re: XFS21 version of the XF20

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:12 pm
by attownsend
gpratt wrote:Some new pics for those that may be interested.

Like always you have inspired me,I love the dory and now I have this to look forward to,excellent.Evild.Build on dude.

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:08 pm
by gpratt
Thanks Evild. It's always a surprise to see how it ends up. Sometimes you start out with one thing in mind and end up with something else. We'll see here before to long I hope.

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:58 pm
by attownsend
gpratt wrote:Thanks Evild. It's always a surprise to see how it ends up. Sometimes you start out with one thing in mind and end up with something else. We'll see here before to long I hope.

Hey,maybe we could see together.Love to see how she performs.I'll meet you somewhere when you launch her.Evild.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:03 pm
by JASmine
Gary.....I like your technique of topping off the cavities AND strengthening the sole bond as well!
I'm thinking how I might do some of the same even though my cavities are already filled. I think I'll scoop out some foam and at least 'tack' the sole down in a few spots ( in addition to gluing it down on the cleats and filleting and taping the edges)
Thanks for the idea :)

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:30 pm
by gpratt
Let the taping begin! Some new pics of my progress for those that are interested.

http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.p ... 319&page=3

Re: XFS21 version of the XF20

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:19 pm
by attownsend
gpratt wrote:Some new pics for those that may be interested.

Gary,

We still need together sometime and run to the reef.! Impressive 8) 8) 8) Evildwarf.

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:21 pm
by gpratt
EvilD

Sounds good ... I think ... what reef ya talkin about?

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:24 pm
by attownsend
gpratt wrote:EvilD

Sounds good ... I think ... what reef ya talkin about?

The sunken ships off where I live.About 3 miles out.The beer and ice and eats are on me.Have a boat grill now. 8) .Workd great.Evild.

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:26 pm
by gpratt
EvilD

Sounding better by the minute!

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:31 pm
by attownsend
gpratt wrote:EvilD

Sounding better by the minute!

Man you have'nt seen anything yet.I dive on them all the time for speer fish some and fish from the boat,either I don't leave until I have something decent to show and eat.Evild.BTW, Im an advanced open water
diver license to teach,by PADI.We could have a ball. Build on dude.

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:06 am
by Mike Adams
Gary,
Lovely work. I'm following your build with interest and I'm real sorry that I missed you when I was in Florida earlier this year - it would have been good to see your boat at first hand.
Who knows, maybe one day I'll build that TW28 (or the bigger version) and sail it across the friggin' Pacific to join you guys fishing on EvilD's reef! Now wouldn't THAT be something to tell the grandkids? 8)

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:43 am
by gpratt
Latest pics of the seats and casting decks being rough fitted to thge boat. That should be most of the bigger pieces. Now it's time to put it all together.
http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.p ... 319&page=3

Thanks Mike. I'm sorry we missed out on tipping a few cold ones while we talked about boats and such.

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:39 pm
by JeffD
Gary,

I have been thinking about building an GF16 but have been concerned about hull slap. Do you think the pointed bow thing could be done to the GF16? If so would you tell/show me how?

Thanks,
Jeff D.

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:15 pm
by gpratt
Jeff

I don't see why not but I'm not the expert here. I know that bow steer can happen more with a pointed nose and a flat bottom. I know that it can happen on my OD16 with the step chine. First time it happen to me it was a real attention getter. More for my wife than me. The other negative is it will take more ply for the contruction.

I can describe the how to part better than show.

To start, I laid out the bottom as designed on the ply then used a batten to adjust to a pointed bow. On the XF20 I started narrowing the chine at the front of the forward seat and extended it until it looked right to me (strictly subjective on this one).

Once I had the bottm about right I decided the angle for the bow edge that runs from the bottom to the sheer. LOA ended up being about a foot longer than the XF20 spec.

I raised the nose about 3" and that ran back about 4' to the flat bottom.

I cut templates out of thin cheap ply and fastened them to the bottom. The top of the template was left extra high to allow for the trial and error fit to get the shape and angle to what I thought looked good. Once I had the nose about the where I wanted I used the batten to extend the sides from the original sheer to the new bow point.

From there is was a matter of building the boat hul to spec up to the front seat and custom fab the nose.

If I can help you more feel free to call me at 407 957-9553.

Gary

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:17 pm
by OzzyC
Seeing your boat gives me a lot of inspiration.

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:34 pm
by tech_support
I like the color. That boat may take the award for the most under-deck storage space. :D Nice job Gary

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:44 pm
by gpratt
Thanks for the kind comments!

Joel
There is a bunch of storage. I'll be using TH Marine Sure Seal hatches with drop in boxes for all the deck openings. That way I can put the stuff regularly used in them and seldom use items below the drop in boxes.

The hard part was paying for all those hatches!

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:39 pm
by gpratt
Most pics of the near completed boat. Hopefully it will get inspected on Friday so I can get it registered. Please ignore the leaves and dirty foot prints just a progress report.

Some testing!

Mounted the engine without the jack plate just to see how it works. Going to try it at a few heights to see what happens. Then I'll put the jack plate on and do some more testing.

The foot wells forward of the front seat has wall recepticles connected to 12 trolling motor batts for my shrimping lights and on wall cover that has my board batt on charger cord in it.

Still need to install the plug for trolling motor. Hole is there just covered with glass and paint.

The console has guages for water press, volts, gas, hrs, tach, engine trim and trim tabs position indicators. Controls for trim tabs and jack plate dial adjustment.

Need to get it to the dealer for 1st startup and activate the warranty.

Will post performance specs as they happen. Hope to get video of the tunnel in action one of these days but not sure the best way to make it available to others. My have to break down one of these days and actully build a web site.

http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.p ... 319&page=5

Later Gary

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:48 pm
by MadRus
Gary, you've outdone yourself. I thought your OD stood out as one of the finest "amateur" built boats I've ever seen, and would be tough to top, but wow! Congratulations.

I'm not saying it would be profitable, but you can't tell me you couldn't get top dollar for that kind of workmanship!

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:38 pm
by BilltheCat
Hey Jacques .... Is this going to become an option when ordering the XF20 plans?

Gary ............ great and wonderful work. I have friends in Oviedo that would say that's a "shrimping" machine .... lots of nice stable deck, plenty of room for 12Vs. But I think you'll be getting a lot more than shrimp guts on that fish killer!!!!

Waiting for the launch series!

Dave

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:47 pm
by JASmine
Gary
Beautiful work! Is that the Porter texture material that Steve mentioned??? Any comments on it??
Thanks for any insight.

John

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:02 pm
by fishingdan
WOW!!!

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:01 pm
by gpratt
Thanks for the nice comments!

John

Yep the same stuff Steve used in his boat and applied the same way, drywall texture gun. Used small tip and about 70 psi for base coat and 30 psi for spatter coat. Bought a 5 gal pail and pulled out about a gal to have tinted an off color to help hide dirt and stains. Had the base coat tinted to match the access hatches. Used some for practise on scrap cardboard boxes and scrap wood. Never used a texture gun before but it was pretty easy to get a decent patter going. I have about gal and a half maybe two left.

It's Safety Deck made by Dyco.

The stuff went on great. The epoxy surfaces primed with S3 primer. It has a rubbery or gummy consistancy when it's dry. Great non slip surface. Don't know how it will hold up. Time will tell. Hope it does well. Saved a ton of fairing time and looks good. Can says to brush, roll or squeege on. Try that but it brings the git up to about a 10 grit sandpaper if there is such a thing. Way to rough for me. Texture gun was the ticket.

Thanks for the tip Steve !

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:09 am
by Randy
Gary,
I am always impressed by someone who does things the "right way".

Your boats have provided inspiration and ideas for many of us that are attempting to build our own.

Good fishing,
Randy

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:31 am
by JimW
Double WOW!

Gary you did an outstnading job on her. I really like all the mods you made and the layout and details look 4.0.

Be very proud!

Gah Dang!

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:50 pm
by FishTX4Life
I like that ! I thought about turning the XF20 into a scooter design by shortening the gunnels and decking the whole boat. IF ONLY I had the money. The trim tabs do well I guess? I noticed you chose not to use a jack plate. I don't know if you plan to run crazy skinny like folks here in the lower Texas Laguna, but a manual jack plate and a cavitation plate would skinny that bad boy up. The backspacing from the plate would let you raise the motor and the cav plate would keep the water down. I have them both on my OD 18 and I was able to raise the motor several inches higher without compromising performance or water intake. Someone once wrote to the that the OD 18 "aint no skinny" but she runs in less than a foot! without kicking up mud or sand. I love it! great work!

Daniel

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:52 pm
by FishTX4Life
Oh hell I didnt read everything and now I look like an idiot! let me know how it does with the jackplate!

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:17 pm
by Cracker Larry
Gary, that is one fine piece of work :!: :!: :!: