Page 1 of 1

Check her out! OD18

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:22 pm
by FishTX4Life
Shes not quite done (rod holders, coolers, lean post install, rub rail, etc.) But I just got her back today and shes ready to run!!

http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=233

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:28 pm
by ks8
I'm certainly convinced that you've got yourself a boat there! :)

ks

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:15 pm
by Mike Adams
Very nice, Daniel - that 's a sweet looking boat. Congratulations!

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:17 am
by SurfRider
Nice layout and finish work on the inside. With all the beer posters in your garage -- smart move to add the in-console drink holders. Lets make sure those are insulated to protect from that hot Texas sun. Looks like a lot of muscle on the back end too. Give us an update when you put 'er in the water.

Cheers!

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:41 am
by FishTX4Life
Haha thank you. Of course the drink holders are large enough to accomodate a koozie! I forgot to mention, when I took the boat in for the motor a guide named Kevin Shaw (Stiffy Push Poles/ fiber-tex owner) saw my boat in the shop and offered me a job that day. So now I do fiberglass repairs and will assist with his new poling skiff production boat! Now if I could just remember to study for classes....

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:16 am
by corpus369
Ok
I want to see this in person. Email me and we can figure it out from there. Love the color. I think you stole that from me.

felch963@hotmail.com

Jamin

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:39 pm
by JASmine
Tex..Do your cupholders have a drain?? If so did you run a drain hose?
Thanks

OD 18 Texas Style

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:19 pm
by cottontop
Daniel, She sure is beautiful. I like your use of "starboard" for console top. If you ever get close to Ocala, FL. We'll take your beauty and mine in to the boat places and show them off. Cottontop :D 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:27 pm
by FishTX4Life
No drain on the cup holders, they had holes but I sealed them off with some marine adhesive. Im sure water will build up in the rain, but oh well!

Thanks Cottontop, I know we both started around the same time, and when I saw you finishing up I knew I had to kick it in gear. Your boat turned out wonderful, I was pretty jealous that I still had so much work. I spent 2 weeks straight to finish her up. Don't tell the coast guard but im gonna sneak her on the water today for a little test ride!

Corpus, I am living in Aransas Pass now at ICW trailer park. Let me know if you want to stop by sometime, it would be a treat.

Daniel

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:30 pm
by corpus369
I would love to stop by. Name the time - I'll be there.

Jamin

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:28 pm
by ks8
JASmine wrote:Tex..Do your cupholders have a drain?? If so did you run a drain hose?
Thanks
Oh no! MODS!!! You'll never finish her. Forget the drain hoses! You'll just want to run them into a bilge pump, and dedicate one pump and bilge for them so beer doesn't get in the *other* bilge... and then you'll want to.... NOOOOoooo! Don't do it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

ks

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:04 pm
by odras
Changes ? KS ? naw never happen!

That is a fine looking OD, hope mine turns out near as well!

The drain holes don't drain into the bilge, they drain onto a holding tank, so at least you got some beer after the motor quits 10 miles of shore, sheesh rookies!!!! :lol:

Again really sweet boat, and please, I'd love to hear how she goes with that 70!

Bill

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:27 pm
by ks8
New marketing campaign? Bilge Beer? Ah, but will it wash? Sounds swill to me...

:doh:

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:16 pm
by FishTX4Life
Well heres some numbers with the 70 yammyhammer. She planes at 3400 and runs comfortably at 4000. The break in called for WOT in the 2nd hour. So I dropped the hammer and it was atleast 35 mph. crazy fast! I'll report the actual numbers when I bring my GPS. Iit porpoised the first time I dropped it at 5500 and then my buddy suggested I trim all the way down and I achieved 5400 with no porpoising. I plan to jack the motor up another 2 inches and I will make a anti-cavitation plate at work (shaw-wing www.stiffybrandpushpoles.com ) . Damn I love my new job.

The wind was a bit nasty today so I hugged the islands along the intracoastal. A 70 is more than enough for this boat. I figured with my extra decking my boat was a bit heavier. Anyhow the 70 is great, and if you fish skinny and need a hella hole shot the 70 is champ. I had to put some character on the prop and skeg! so I lanuched in flats a few times.

The only problem I had was that I didnt seal my hatches well enough and the rain this past week leaked into my rear hatches and filled my chase tubes. I figured this out a bit late.... No wonder the boat was leaning right! I'll seal em up better at work on friday.

BTW I like the idea of running beer through a bilge. Thats better than one of those funnel beer bongs!!!!!

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:20 pm
by odras
LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

SOUNDS LIKE YOU DID REAL WELL

Have a great time with her!

Bill

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:58 am
by SurfRider
[quote="FishTX4Life"] porpoising. I plan to jack the motor up another 2 inches and I will make a anti-cavitation plate at work (shaw-wing www.stiffybrandpushpoles.com ) . Damn I love my new job.[quote]

Bro, you may want to be cool about jacking the engine up. I took mine from cave plate dead level with the bottom to about an inch above. No improvement in speed or performance -- most of all lost a lot of the range on my power trim -- set it back to normal. At some speed, these boats are going to porpoise. You have a high bow and wide flair that acts as a wing -- she aint no skinny. .

You work here? Dude, you just ruined my day.

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:10 am
by tech_support
We need a Bateau calendar. Girls with sanders and dusk masks and tyvek suits

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:26 am
by UncleRalph
Shine wrote:We need a Bateau calendar. Girls with sanders and dusk masks and tyvek suits
Tyvek swim suits?

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:32 am
by FishTX4Life
As of right now, with a 6 inch setback, the motor is an inch above level. From my understanding for every 6 inches of setback you can raise the motor 2-3 inches. With the ShawWing I can keep water down in the pick up. Shes not necessarily made for skinny, but she floats shallow. In the areas I fish a few inches would be very nice. Shes squats pretty good on take off, but with a hard launch in on plane in NO TIME.

BTW I just found out there will be no new STIFFY Calendar this year! :x

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:52 pm
by SurfRider
FishTX4Life wrote:As of right now, with a 6 inch setback, the motor is an inch above level. From my understanding for every 6 inches of setback you can raise the motor 2-3 inches.
This is interesting. How about a little more explanation of "setback" and this motor raise dynamic.

As for calendar girls in Tyvek suits, lets just have dust cover the dangerous parts. ;-)

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:10 pm
by FishTX4Life
So when your boat is running it displaces water right? If you watch behind your boat when youre running the water rises back to level directly behind your boat, and actually forms a hump above water level. The farther back your motor is, the closer it is to the point where water rises to fill the displacement void. The cavitation plate will keep the turbulent water down around the prop and intake. If the motor is on the transom it is in the heart of the displacement. Move it back and the water level is higher. Of course a 48 inch setback doesnt mean you can raise the motor 24 inches. The equation has limits.

The same science works with a tunnel hull. It allows the water to return to level far before it reaches the motor. Also the motor sucks the water up once on plane allowing you to jack the motor up even higher than the water level.

Does that make sense??

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:05 am
by SurfRider
FishTX4Life wrote:So when your boat is running it displaces water right? If you watch behind your boat when youre running the water rises back to level directly behind your boat, and actually forms a hump above water level. The farther back your motor is, the closer it is to the point where water rises to fill the displacement void. The cavitation plate will keep the turbulent water down around the prop and intake. If the motor is on the transom it is in the heart of the displacement. Move it back and the water level is higher. Of course a 48 inch setback doesnt mean you can raise the motor 24 inches. The equation has limits.

The same science works with a tunnel hull. It allows the water to return to level far before it reaches the motor. Also the motor sucks the water up once on plane allowing you to jack the motor up even higher than the water level.

Does that make sense??
Yes -- so you are putting a plate like a sea drive on the transom to move it back?

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:25 am
by FishTX4Life
I already have a plate on, its a manual jack plate

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:38 pm
by Rick
Shine wrote:We need a Bateau calendar. Girls with sanders and dusk masks and tyvek suits

No additional comment other than I can't believe I didn't notice Shine's post earlier.

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:44 pm
by FLYonWALL9
TX,
So, whats the chances you have a pile of scratch and dents laying about?

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:20 pm
by FishTX4Life
scratch and dents? not sure what you mean

daniel

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:28 pm
by FLYonWALL9
Minor defected items, drops or the glass color uneven something your QA department would kick back or send out to dealers as display only models.

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:46 am
by Lackofdistinction
Verrryyy smooth Fly on the wall.

I will take a factory reject myself or two even! 8)

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:28 am
by FishTX4Life
haha well let me add you to the list! There are some blem poles (blemish poles) but I need to get one for myself first! Wish I could help you out.

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:34 pm
by Vman777
Daniel, Boat looks great, I really like the forward seat/step deck, I guess that is what you would call it. Very nice touch. 8)

David

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:43 pm
by hagar
How did you do that chine mod? Looks like it may be a dry ride? Any prblems with chine tripping? Nice boat by the way, hope mine will look as good!