Hunch's XF20 Launched

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
chase
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chase »

You might want to check to see if the ramp is open. I thought I read somewhere that only the freshwater side is open.

Hunch
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Hunch »

chase wrote:You might want to check to see if the ramp is open. I thought I read somewhere that only the freshwater side is open.
Whitewater Bay side ramp is open in Flamingo. No facilities, no bait, no gas. Ramp was packed.

Steven
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Steven »

Looks nice, Hunch.

What color paint is that? Did you have them mix a color? I read the specs on the paint and it is self priming. Does it fill well, and can it be sanded between coats?

Thanks,
Steven

Hunch
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Hunch »

Steven wrote:Looks nice, Hunch.

What color paint is that? Did you have them mix a color? I read the specs on the paint and it is self priming. Does it fill well, and can it be sanded between coats?

Thanks,
Steven
The stuff is mixed #AC-7 is the Ben Moore number.

You can lay it on fairly thick and it does sand smooth with 220. If you want a super fine finish with no brush marks sand before the last coat with 220 and thin with spirits and Penetrol.

I would definately use a primer over epoxy. I used 2 coats Ben Moore M88 epoxy primer over the raw epoxy resin followed by 3 full coats of the Iron Clad.

My finish surface is durable not fancy. I didn't worry much about fairing all the whoops and dammits and brush marks with them gonna be covered over by all the fish blood and scratches from the mangroves.

Steven

Post by Steven »

Thanks.

One more question. How much Primer and how much top coat did it take?

Hunch
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Hunch »

Steven wrote:Thanks.

One more question. How much Primer and how much top coat did it take?
1 gal kit primer and 6 qts top coat