Vg20 finally underway

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Justin Pipkorn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Vg20 finally underway

Post by Justin Pipkorn »

The pads that I am talking about are shown in this picture.
http://www.amateurboatbuilding.com/just ... s/pads.jpg

This only works if you know where you want to locate the deck fittings. I thought out the deck layout well ahead of time and purchased some of the major items like winches.

I just thought that it was easier to glue on the pads before assembling the deck panels.
Justin Pipkorn
Vagabond+ Just Right
http://www.amateurboatbuilding.com/justright/index.htm
gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1281
Otter/Lissa
gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1197

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

I don't know if there are any places where it could happen on your boat, but one of the mooring cleats on my D15 ended up right next to a butt block, so I made the cleat backer and the butt block in one piece. That was much easier than trying to scab a piece next to the butt block and make it come out level.
CC, D15, V10

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Looking good! I like the frame on the skirt that will have an outboard hanging off of it. Enjoy getting her decked out. :)

new to sail
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by new to sail »

More progress, feels like a boat and even is beginning to look like a boat.

Front half of deck glued down after primer was painted on the forward section of the interior. Maybe I should have waited to attach the deck until all of the inside was primed, but just to eager to see how she will shape up.

Here are some of the interior shots with the first coat of yacht primer applied.

The galley area will need a little bit of planning so will probably wait till further down the line to finish up.

sitandfish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sitandfish »

I haven't been able to build a boat of my own but I have always enjoyed watching all of you build yours. Thought I would pass along a word of encouragement. I’m not even quite sure why but your build is my favorite. Even the cradle that you built gets a big thumbs up from me. It’s a big project and each step gets you that much closer. Best wishes on your boat build!

new to sail
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by new to sail »

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

My project is shaping up, but I am not sure I could pull this off without the aid of this forum and the experiences of the other builders. Even though the plans all differ from each model of boat the techniques are pretty much the same. Some of the things I like best are some of the innovations that come to play. Those builders that give a blow by blow account of their project is priceless. The talents and creativity of the builders and the aid the designer gives when questions come about have helped to guide me.

Thanks again to everyone
Rick

Justin Pipkorn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Justin Pipkorn »

Rick,

The latest pictures show real progress. You must be feeling pretty good to see so many area nearly finished. I recognize lots of the cutouts and shelves. Work looks good.
Justin Pipkorn
Vagabond+ Just Right
http://www.amateurboatbuilding.com/justright/index.htm
gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1281
Otter/Lissa
gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1197

Dimitris
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dimitris »

We haven't heard from you for a while. How is your build going?

I am about to start a stretched VG18 soon.

new to sail
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by new to sail »

Dimitris thanks for asksing,

Not nearly as steady as I planned. The honey do list overpowered me this year. Sadly the weather was ideal for my outdoor boat build and was unable to capitalize on it. However the outdoor project my wife wanted worked out well.

I did get a few things assembled and I was able to get glass on the deck. We have been having rain on the weekends now so I have to keep the boat covered. Although it looks like a dry week end is coming and I hope to finish a couple of the interior projects. I need to glue the cockpit seats in and hopefully turn the hull over before the end of the year thats when we usually get most of our rain.

I plan to take more pictures and get them uploaded.

Rick

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

I know what you mean new to sail, It really isn't that a boat takes 1 or 2 or 5 years to build. Distractions and momentum come and go. The boat looks great. I'm glad to see that you are still on it.