Vg20 finally underway

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Justin Pipkorn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Vg20 finally underway

Post by Justin Pipkorn »

This is a good time to think about drainage, both from lockers, cockpit, and the top of the seat. The VG20 plans sloped the cockpit floor aft. (Assuming that the boat is floating level on the waterline.) But the shape of the seat top slopes back and traps water in the forward outboard corner. I provided drain holes from the seat top compartments through the deck. Later, to partially solve the drainage problem, I drilled drain holes which allowed the seat top to drain into the compartment and then overboard. This was partially succussful but meant that the contents of the locker were wet. Since I just use the forward compartment locker to store tails of the various lines, it wasn't too serious. Later, I also added drain hole in the aft corner of the seat/transom connection. I can swab water on the seat back to the drain hole. You can just make out the holes I am talking about in this picture.

I presume that you plan to keep the outboard fuel containers in the aft lockers. I left my aft lockers open.

You can also see the negative camber I built into the cockpit floor so that water would eventually drain into the center cockpit drain hole.

These may seem like trivia until you come on deck in the morning and find the seat covered by condensation. Actually, the Vagabond is very dry under sailing conditions. I don't remember ever having water in the cockpit (except in torrential Florida rain storms) or even on deck.
Justin Pipkorn
Vagabond+ Just Right
http://www.amateurboatbuilding.com/justright/index.htm
gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1281
Otter/Lissa
gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1197

new to sail
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by new to sail »

Needed to move the boat out so we could have a cement driveway poured.

It was a long day of pulling and tugging to get the boat in the garage, the last three feet
didn't go according to plan and the boat slid off the cradle.

I guess being outdoors for five years took its toll on the strongbacks or I just didn't make them beefy enough

on to other things for now. I have since blocked the hull off of the ground will rebuild the cradle later.
It's a snug fit but it has a place in the garage for now

Just enough room for the door to close. Even though my wife isn't crazy about parking her car outside, I now have a lot more room to move around the sides.

new to sail
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by new to sail »

Made a little more progress. I had a chance to paint under the cockpit seating

Here is one of the locker doors in place. At this point 2 coats of epoxy have been applied. I plan on one more coat before putting on three coats of varnish.

This is the back side of door showing hardware in place with 2 coats of paint inside of locker.

new to sail
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by new to sail »

Finally back to my project. Glued in the cockpit seating and taped everything off and filled the weave.Image
Resin coated everything on top and set the seat back in place for a view of what it will look like.Image
Now the part I've been dreading, the flip. I bought the tow straps a couple of month ago, but was not sure how I would use them. Then I saw what bondo did with his Adele 14 and thought I could do the same. It was a one man show but I was able to invert the boat in a little over 3 and a half hours. Now I can begin glassing the outside. It has got to be easier than all those nooks and crannies on the inside. Image

Justin Pipkorn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Justin Pipkorn »

Congratulations on sticking with the project. The hull looks great. Very inovative scheme for turning boat single handed.
Justin Pipkorn
Vagabond+ Just Right
http://www.amateurboatbuilding.com/justright/index.htm
gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1281
Otter/Lissa
gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1197

new to sail
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by new to sail »

Thanks Justin, It was a chore.

It will take time to finish the bottom and build the composite keel before turning again. I'm not looking forward to that again, but I will be extremely happy when it's done.

Rick

popiworks
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by popiworks »

Nicely done. It proves you don't need a lot of space to build one of these. What are the plans for getting it out of there and onto a trailer?
Steve Scalia

The canvas can do miracles

new to sail
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by new to sail »

Well, we moved the hull out once before and into the garage over the summer so we could have a cement driveway poured. We extended the fence and added a double gate to get the boat back in. The only problem we had, was that the hull was wider than the opening allowed with the gates on. Once we removed the gate we had about an inch to spare.

Once the boat is completed I hope we can use the straps again to lift it up and run a trailer underneath of her. Not sure if the trailer will be wider than the widest part of the boat, but we will see.

Rick

popiworks
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by popiworks »

Where there is a will, there is a way.
Steve Scalia

The canvas can do miracles

new to sail
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by new to sail »

I got some time off from work between the holidays to make some progress on the boat. Got the chines glued sanded, rounded over and taped.

I cut the bottom glass way back when the plywood was first cut and assembled and placed in the mold.
After about 6 years, it has plenty of creases in it where it had been stored for all that time. I placed in position
and carefully pulled it tight hoping to smooth it our before glassing into place. Don't if it will matter because the
resin will take our the wrinkles anyway.