SB18 in the Philippines

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Louis, if you guys put together your "consortium" for dealing with Santa Clara there must be a bunch of boats suddenly under construction in Luzon! Did you all get a reliable source finally?

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 »

The plywood I'm getting is of the Santa Clara level but this is not the one we're putting a consortium together for.

The consortium is still the works. I guess we have 75% signed up for even though we're not yet settled on the cost but since this is a first we're keeping our fingers crossed.

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 »

Got all the hull panels done except the bottom, ran out of plywood :cry: just as well need to attend to the day job.

Image[/img]

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Good start, pretty soon it'll be looking like a boat! Where are you planning to use this one? Ocean? Where do you launch? I'm hoping to get back to our house in Imus this summer, where I have a 40 hp Merc with only about 25 hours on it waiting for my next build...haven't figured out what design yet, though...or financing... :doh: :D

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 »

Hi Ross. The boat will be based in Taal most of the time, our CR13 lives there. On occasion we'll take her out to sea. I expect she'll cross to Puerto Galera and hopefully will be capable of island hopping to Boracay and even Palawan. We'll see.

Financing? Granted the materials here aren't the best, it is surely hard to beat the prices. Drop us a line when you do get here.

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 »

And she goes 3D .... ha ha I did not take a picture of her full body .. this will have to do:

ImageImage

Stitching the bow .. taking my sweet time here.
ImageImage

How I got the frames level
ImageImage

How I got the angled cabin bulkhead into position:
ImageImage
Thanks Greg for pointing me in the right direction.

Discovered another mistake in my frames :oops:
Aside from this "big" error, I'm seeing a lot of small errors - gaps between the frames and the hull panels. I'm going to trust the hull panels and later get the frames to fit.

sngatlanta
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sngatlanta »

Louis, did you find the error for that issue? Was it the frame or the panel. I had a few gaps but by pulling here and pushing there, add a screw to hold this and that it all lined up pretty good.

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 »

It was the frame Ross. I spent the morning stitching and doing as you mentioned: pushing and pulling but I still have a big issue with Frame F. It is just not fitting itself to the hull at the first and second chines. I've remeasured the frame and I've not found any error. I also checked the frame spacing and those dimensions checked out too. I'll check the panels next. I suspect I may have done the bow wrong. Good thing tomorrow is Sunday.

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

The frame sure looks wrong. You can see the side slope of the hull in the frames just behind and just in front it totally different than the wrong one. The hull panel has a fair curve between the other 2 frames so it's probably not the hull panel
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 »

I spent most of Sunday realigning all the frames. Everything is A-OK now. I still have small gaps, 10mm or less at Frame F but they're symmetrical, and the hull is fair as far as I can tell.

ImageImage

One thing was I measured the position of Frame F from the wrong side so it was 9mm too close to Frame E. Also, Frame F wasn't standing up straight because the struts holding it upright were rather small being must 1x2 and would bend towards Frame E. After adding those two horizontal braces that are level with the bottom edge of the boat's cabin sole beams, the gaps at the 2nd chine reduced to about 10mm.

By the late afternoon, I had masking tape on all the seams and started filleting. Got a third done.

ImageImage

Yeah I wasn't gentle enough and broke the tip of the lower side panel. To fix it, after the tack welds are hard enough, I'll chop off about 30mm from the lower side panels and the bottom panel and glue piece of wood there which I will eventually shape into the tip of the bow.