SB18 in the Philippines

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
fragi
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: SB18 in the Philippines-battens

Post by fragi »

How did you glue this battens? At the top sides of the frames? Or on top of them as well as the top of the boat's sides? About deck supporting battens did you cut part of the top of the frames to put them through, below deck?

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: SB18 in the Philippines

Post by lncc63 »

The battens are on the sides of the frames. The top of a batten is aligned to the top of the frame it is attached to. Yes, I cut notches in the frames for the deck support battens.

Actually Fragi, I believe the build manual calls for the deck to be taped to the frames. The taping is done when the boat is flipped. You would also do this along with glassing the underside of the roof and taping it to the frames. I overlooked this in my enthusiasm to get the battens on.

Battens on the frames are really only called for to support the bunks, the cockpit and cabin soles, and the seat panels - I believe this is because there is really no way to tape these to the frames. Taping them to the frames would actually be better I think.

If you feel you need battens to support a surface, please instead consider glassing the underside of the surface. In retrospect this would have been a better solution I believe. With my plywood, which is only 3 ply, I would have even considered using biax. Of course though you should ask Jacques and Evan about this.