Moonfish Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
fishin'
Active Poster
Active Poster

Moonfish Build

Post by fishin' »

hey everybody. I guess I finally got my wish of wanting to build a boat. My brother in law decided he was also interested so we are doing it together. Ordered and received the plans this week and have a few questions before we get started. Unfortunately I cannot find any builds for this boat on the website so I can't find answers anywhere.

1. The plans suggest putting together all the frames and stringers upside down using the deck as the base. Will I notch the frames and or stringers to get them to fit together? if so how much for each?

2. should I screw them to the deck from underneath to keep them in place or is there some other way to keep it all standing up?

3. Once we put the bottom pieces on and flip the boat do we need to remove the frames and stringers from the hull to tape the keel, transom, and chine seams? The plans do not say.

4. also the plans do not mention stitching ever, is it not necessary when using the temporary screws as suggested?

Thanks in advance everyone. I realize this should probably go in the technical message section, but thought I would keep everything here for future builders and ease of searching. I can move it if necessary.

Peter

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Moonfish Build

Post by chrisobee »

You may or may not get answers here. You certainly won't get answers from shine or J.

fishin'
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by fishin' »

really? They're that particular about where they answer questions? I guess I'll have to place them in technical questions then.

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by chrisobee »

They just don't bother to read this section. They have to read everything else but this section is basically a blog for recording your build experiance. Technical support is done on the other board. Post your questions one at a time and they will get answered on the other section.

I will give you my opinion of your current questions but I have not seen the plans for moon fish.

1. The plans suggest putting together all the frames and stringers upside down using the deck as the base. Will I notch the frames and or stringers to get them to fit together? if so how much for each?

Notch both as little as possible.

2. should I screw them to the deck from underneath to keep them in place or is there some other way to keep it all standing up?

Use as few screws as possible. remove as soon as possible.

3. Once we put the bottom pieces on and flip the boat do we need to remove the frames and stringers from the hull to tape the keel, transom, and chine seams? The plans do not say.

No leave the frames and stringers tape in between. you will be taping the stringers and frames as well.

4. also the plans do not mention stitching ever, is it not necessary when using the temporary screws as suggested?

Use stitches as required but if they are not mentioned in the plans they probably don't need to be used.

I don't think that there is a documented moonfish under construction here I am looking forward to seeing your progress.

fishin'
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by fishin' »

Thanks for the help Chrisobee and I realize you haven't seen these plans but I have one more point to clarify. Because of the way this boat is designed the stringers and frames are the same height all the way from the front to back. Would you think to notch each of them halfway through then? Thanks again.

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by chrisobee »

fishin' wrote:Thanks for the help Chrisobee and I realize you haven't seen these plans but I have one more point to clarify. Because of the way this boat is designed the stringers and frames are the same height all the way from the front to back. Would you think to notch each of them halfway through then? Thanks again.
Yes I that sounds right. Its like an egg crate.

I'm eager to see your build. I sailed a sunfish for the first time this summer. Quite the comic adventure. 280 pound men ought not to sail a sunfish. Perched on the corner of the cockpit I ended up with bruises on both knees and accross my butt. Lovely day sailing though. I walked funny for a couple of days and learned alot.

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

What's a Moonfish? can't find it in the sailboat plans :doh:

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by chrisobee »

peter-curacao wrote:What's a Moonfish? can't find it in the sailboat plans :doh:

Small boats / small sailboats

http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=MF14

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Peter, the Moonfish is almost identical to a Sunfish. I'm not sure what happened to the study plans on the website, I can't find them either :doh: It's a 14' board boat.

Fishin' I've got a set of Moonfish plans, I'll look at them in a bit and reply.

Edit: Chris found them 8)

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

chrisobee wrote:
peter-curacao wrote:What's a Moonfish? can't find it in the sailboat plans :doh:

Small boats / small sailboats

http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=MF14
That's strange I can't find it in the plans very nice boat, Larry I think it looks better as a sunfish, don't know if it is faster but for sure it looks faster as a sunfish 8) I think I'm gonna build this for my mom