Moonfish Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Moonfish Build

Post by chrisobee »

peter-curacao wrote:That's strange I can't find it in the plans very nice boat, Larry I think it looks better as a sunfish, don't know if it is faster but for sure it looks faster as a sunfish 8) I think I'm gonna build this for my mom
Its not under sailboats its under small boats. The study plans say that it has a smaller sailplan than a sunfish but you could use the rig from a sunfish if you liked.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

1. The plans suggest putting together all the frames and stringers upside down using the deck as the base. Will I notch the frames and or stringers to get them to fit together? if so how much for each?
No, no notches. Frames go in first, full sized, no notches. The stringers are cut and fit between the frames. They are glued, filleted where they butt to the frames. Use a couple of temp drywall screws to hold them
2. should I screw them to the deck from underneath to keep them in place or is there some other way to keep it all standing up?
No. First you will build the daggerboard trunk and set it on the plastic covered deck. Then the forward and mid frames are glued to the trunk. Use drywall screws to temporarily hold them. This will create a self-standing grid.
3. Once we put the bottom pieces on and flip the boat do we need to remove the frames and stringers from the hull to tape the keel, transom, and chine seams? The plans do not say.
No. you'll put on the bottom panels, secure with a few screws, then cover all the seams with duct tape. Flip the hull and remove the deck. Now you'll build all your inside seams. This is all covered in the building notes.
4. also the plans do not mention stitching ever, is it not necessary when using the temporary screws as suggested?
This boat will require almost no stitches. You might need a few to pull a seam together but probably not.

Hope this helps ya, Fishin :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Larry did you build this one? if so can/will you show some pic's?

fishin'
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by fishin' »

thanks for help larry. Nice to know someone else has a set of plans to look at. I saw where it said to add the bottom then duct tape and flip. I just didn't understand if I was only supposed to fiberglass the chine and keel seams between the frames or remove them like I see done on many builds. Thanks for the help. Can't wait to really get started.

Peter

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I just didn't understand if I was only supposed to fiberglass the chine and keel seams between the frames or remove them like I see done on many builds.
Notice the building notes Step 3. After you glue up the frames and stringers, still working on the upside down deck, next you glue the transom to the stringers. Then you install the side panels, glued to the transom and each frame, and to the forward stringer. Once the sides and transom are glued, then the bottom panels are temporarily screwed to the frames and stringers. Duct tape the seams and flip.

At this point, the framework cannot be removed, it's already glued to the sides and transom and screwed to the bottom. So you'll have to build your inside seams working between the boxes.
Larry did you build this one? if so can/will you show some pic's?
No Peter, I almost built one :lol: Joel Shine had asked me to build one for his Dad a while back. He sent me the plans and I studied them real good so I could give him a quote. In the meantime he found a used Sunfish in good shape for a very good price, so the Moonfish build was cancelled.

Want me to build you one? and deliver it to Curacao :idea:
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Cracker Larry wrote:
Want me to build you one? and deliver it to Curacao :idea:
Come on over and we build one together :P

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

That sounds good. See you Monday :lol:

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Cracker Larry wrote:That sounds good. See you Monday :lol:
Oke I'll pick you up at the airport, you bring some BBB ?I will arrange a barrel of aged Rum :wink: 8)

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I'll have to swing by Craigs for some BBB :lol:

fishin'
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by fishin' »

Hey guys. The plans call for a fg splice for the deck on the bottom side only. Does this mean just one piece of fg tape? I have never done one before so I don't know how many layers to put down. Thanks. Will be getting some pictures up at least by sat. possibly sooner.