Moonfish Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Doc_Dyer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Moonfish Build

Post by Doc_Dyer »

fishin' wrote:drawings show one layer of 3/8 on one side of the daggerboard and two layers of 3/8 on the other side. That is a problem because I don't have any 3/8 since the bom only calls for 1/2 and 1/4. Should I just make out of 1/2". The problem then becomes that the mast step area becomes to wide. Using 1/2 for the daggerboard trunk the mast step ends up at 2 3/4' instead of 2-1/4 I guess I could just block it back down with a piece of 1/4" on each side? keep in mind when you look at the measurements that the 1x1 block near the daggerboard needs to be more like 1-1/4" because the daggerboard needs 1/8 clearance on both sides according to the notes on that page.
)

found the same thing on my plans....even more so when I put into cad
here is a rough mock up of what I planned.
was going to get some 3/8 scrap from someone :oops:
since you dont need a lot and buying a whole sheet for these 2 little pieces didnt make sense

Bradley

yellow 3/8 ply
black is 1/8 gap around the board
purple is 1/16 or so for glass and resin coating

. sanded on a canoe, bought a used boat, stayed at a holiday inn last night

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

That looks good Bradley.

I've got plenty of 3/8 scrap, enough for both of you to make those pieces. Probably better for shipping if I make them and send them to you. Be glad to help, I can't do much else with it but make bird houses anyway.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

fishin'
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by fishin' »

I posted over in sails boats, so I can give it a few days and see if jacques responds. Thanks for the offer though Larry that would be a big help and I might have to take you up on it.

Do the plans actually call for fiberglassing the daggerboard? Without that I can make this all work using 1/2 instead of 3/8.

doc are you building this boat now?

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Do the plans actually call for fiberglassing the daggerboard
I don't think so, but I would. Daggerboards tend to hit bottom sometimes. Yall let me know if you need some small pieces of 3/8.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by chrisobee »

fishin' wrote:Do the plans actually call for fiberglassing the daggerboard?
The wooden boat crowd would recoil in horror if you used ply for a centerboard. They would cry out that only 1/2 the fibers run to opposed the forces on the board. I am inclined to agree. I am not one to advise that you should overbuild beyond what the designer suggests but in this case I think its a good call. One layer of biax on both sides of the board particularly at the point that the board extends through the hull. Remember you may have to stand on the centerboard to right a capsize.

fishin'
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by fishin' »

ok, got started cutting today. Felt good to finally get to it and stop asking questions. Anyway, got the deck cut and the fiberglass splice put in. Also cut a bunch of the frames along with daggerboard trunk and forward stringer. Well, here are the pictures.

Just getting started

Some pieces cut and laid out.

The deck laid out and the fiberglass splice put in. The weight is on top just to keep the two panels lined up.

we'll be getting back at it tomorrow. Hope to get the daggerboard trunk put together and the rest of the pieces cut out.
I don't have my plans with me right now and I don't remember them saying whether the side panels need fiberglass splices or the bottom panels for that matter. what do yall think? I remember the plans specifically mentioning them for the deck but not anywhere else but it seems like they would be needed. Thanks for looking.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Seems like your building right on the beach? there are worse places to put a boat together 8)

fishin'
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by fishin' »

Yes I basically am. Underneath my parents house. No room at my own. There might not be a better place but there has got to be a cooler one! lol. Can't say I mind too much though.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

fishin' wrote:but there has got to be a cooler one! lol.
Fur sure you won't find it here :)

fishin'
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by fishin' »

Got a little more work done today. bought the dimensional lumber for cleats and spacers in the daggerboard trunk. Glued together part of the daggerboard trunk which is now ready for fiberglass. Will post some pictures tomorrow perhaps, they are not all that interesting though.

Hours: 6.5 total