AR15 in Ohio

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Re: AR15 in Ohio

Post by ks8 »

That would weigh a bit more than the boat. The hot tub would need to be filled with mercury... :lol:

So... how's the AR15 progress? :D

jsriolo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jsriolo »

I have had a few distractions lately...

This one is finished, for now.

I ordered materials for the AR15 yesterday and will take off next week to start on it, assuming materials arrive.

Edit: My picture got cropped, weird. I wonder if it's done that to other ones...
Last edited by jsriolo on Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

You used to large a pixel count use 640 x 480 and it should work fine.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

What size loads you working with? :)

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Looks like shotgun, maybe?
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

jsriolo WHY!!!! did you revail the secret of green rum??

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 »

Cracker Larry wrote:Looks like shotgun, maybe?
Looks like it, but many presses have swappable dies so that that press could be for almost any round (always wanted to post a post with a *that that* that works gramatically, in a row. Oops... make that three... :lol: )

jsriolo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jsriolo »

For those that care: .223 and .30-06.

Also note that I won't be scaling my pictures - if you want to see the whole thing just open it in another tab or something. If you ask nicely I might make the pictures links to full size ones.

Anyways, I ordered my fiberglass/epoxy and it should be getting here tomorrow. I'll try to experiment on some crappy plywood and start building a jig over the weekend.

I also decided to go with meranti (mostly because of cost) and ordered my plywood. As you know, the AR15 uses 1/4" for the hull and 3/8" for the bulkheads. Unfortunately, Boat Builder Central is currently out of 3/8" meranti. But don't fret! They offered to upgrade my order of 3/8" plywood to okume at their cost in order to expedite my order. I really appreciate their offer, but this is driving me crazy. If I was going to use okume I would have either used it exclusively or perhaps used okume for the 1/4" hull and meranti for the 3/8" bulkheads. Using okume for the bulkheads and meranti for the hull just seems back-asswards. I am not sure what the resolution is going to be but I think I've convinced myself that I'm a newbie and shouldn't worry. What ever the case, I am very impressed with their service. I am going to try to contact them tomorrow and either tell them I don't mind a little wait or I'll pay them the difference to upgrade everything to okume.

To be extremely clear - I am very impressed with Boat Builder Central's service! If you guys are reading I appreciate the gesture and will use you again! It's just my crazy engineering sensibilities getting hung up on using meranti for the hull and okume for the bulkheads.

gk108

Post by gk108 »

What worries you the most about okoume? Your hull will be slightly lighter, but not by very much. The difference in rot resistance only applies to bare wood. Proper epoxy coating will make rot a non-issue. :?:
CC, D15, V10

jsriolo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jsriolo »

Since they were upgrading the 3/8" ply I called them and told them I'd pay for them to upgrade the rest to okume. What the hell, you only live once!