AR15 in Eastern NC

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
dale1956
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: AR15 in Eastern NC

Post by dale1956 »

Great start! Are you going with an open or closed transom? I've been to the Anchorage Camp there on the Lake. I'm a pastor and actually looked at a church in Whiteville. Didn't work out though. Live in Roanoke Rapids for 6plus years.

dale1956
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dale1956 »

Correction: "lived" in Roanoke Rapids. Now in GA.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

For when Bill gets to post a few more pictures, here is his gallery link.

:)

Hammertime
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Hammertime »

Had hoped to go sailing this morning, but the wind has not cooperated. Guess I will just have to sand instead!

We flipped the boat over 2 weekends ago. Finished filling all the gaps, just waiting for some cooler weather to start glassing the outside.

Still working on the Center board. My centerboard plans call for a lead weight in a 7" circle. I have several sheets of lead about 1/8" thick, any reason that I couldn't just cut out 4 or 5 of these and epoxy them into a hole in the CB instead of melting all that lead?

Dale1956 - Doing a closed transom.

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

I have seen guys use shotgun shot with epoxy in center boards.
I dont see why you couldnt use sheets.
Novi 23 finally launched !

gk108

Post by gk108 »

Just make sure the layers are well bonded to each other and the rest of the foil. Use nails in the perimeter of the holes, like casting in place or something like that.

There's sheet lead in the rudder of my O'Day. Can't tell just how they did it because it was crumpled from the damage that I was patching. :doh:
CC, D15, V10

Hammertime
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Hammertime »

We taped and glassed the bottom. After everything was done I did not like the look of the glass at the tape lines. There were LOTS of small air bubbles. Pondered for a day or two and decided to sand them out. Ended up sanding all the seam lines through the glass to the tape. We have filled the holes, I thought these would fill with the epoxy when we put the glass down---They didn't. After finishing sanding this area I plan on putting a layer of glass over the seam replace what has been sanded off.

Any one see anything wrong with this?

Hammertime
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Hammertime »

Just got done ordering more epoxy and some more 6 oz glass.

I wish there was a way to recycle epoxy after you sand it off. I think I have sanded off 2 gal of the stuff. Have used about 4 gal in the build.

Still trying to decide what to do with the centerboard weight. I have lead sheats that I have cut to fit in the hole in the centerboard, but cannot bring myself to believe that I can put them in without having air pockets between the sheets. I might just melt the lead and fill the hole that way.

Bill