Page 1 of 1

AR15 in Eastern NC

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:57 pm
by Hammertime
Let me start by introducing myself, I am Bill S from Lake Waccamaw, NC.

Having recently finished a strip canoe, I decided it was time to build a sailboat. We picked up some Okume plywood last weekend and started cutting the frames, bottom, chine pannels and the sides for the AR15. This morning we started assembly.

Got her stitched together then flipped her over to secure the frames a little better.

Once that was done we flipped it back over and added the tape to the bottom.

After that we flipped it again then returned it back to the garage.

Re: AR15 in Eastern NC

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:33 pm
by jsriolo
Wow, awesome! That is a lot to get done in two weekends!

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:25 pm
by bondo
Bang! Really fast. Looks like your off to a great start. Maybe your ancestors really did build Rome in a day.

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:46 pm
by ks8
Hammertime... email me. If possible, one day I'd like to see your AR15. :)

Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:43 pm
by Hammertime
Traveled all week, so I did not get to work on the boat until Saturday afternoon. We built a stand to sit the boat on yesterday and started taping today. Learned that I did not mix my fillet epoxy thick enough. Next time I will add more wood flour so it does not run.

How do I get the pictures to be larger in the post?

Hammertime

Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:54 pm
by cape man
Open the pics in the gallery first by double clicking on them to enlarge them, then right click properties, copy and paste to your post. You are posting the thumbnails.

Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:10 pm
by chrisobee
Hammertime wrote: Learned that I did not mix my fillet epoxy thick enough. Next time I will add more wood flour so it does not run.
you might also consider some silica. I find a mixture of silica and wood flour makes for nice stiff fillets.

Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:16 pm
by Dog Fish

That's better.

Brian :)

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:12 pm
by Hammertime
Back at it. Another week on the road and finally getting to do a little boat building on the weekend. Put casters under the cradle so I could move her out into the driveway to enjoy the sun. Did some more work on the frames today. Noticed tonight that I have a couple of air pockets where the glass covers the but blocks. Guess I will have to grind that area out and redo. I now have the transmom, E and D frames glassed in and tomorrow hope to glass C and B.

KS8 sent an e-mail not sure if you got it. Come on down anytime.

Capeman-thanks for the info on how to import the picures larger.

Chrisobee- tried the silica. Seems to help, mixing it about 4 wood dust to 1 silica.

Hammertime

Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:11 am
by Hammertime
It's been a while since my last post so I thought an update might be in order. We have finished taping all the frames. Have shaped the center board, and cut out the ply for the centerboard trunk and ruder. Hoping to flip the hull today and start on the outside.

Now if it will cool off a little bit maybe we can get back to boat building.

Bill

Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:56 pm
by dale1956
Great start! Are you going with an open or closed transom? I've been to the Anchorage Camp there on the Lake. I'm a pastor and actually looked at a church in Whiteville. Didn't work out though. Live in Roanoke Rapids for 6plus years.

Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:39 pm
by dale1956
Correction: "lived" in Roanoke Rapids. Now in GA.

Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:58 pm
by ks8
For when Bill gets to post a few more pictures, here is his gallery link.

:)

Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:40 am
by Hammertime
Had hoped to go sailing this morning, but the wind has not cooperated. Guess I will just have to sand instead!

We flipped the boat over 2 weekends ago. Finished filling all the gaps, just waiting for some cooler weather to start glassing the outside.

Still working on the Center board. My centerboard plans call for a lead weight in a 7" circle. I have several sheets of lead about 1/8" thick, any reason that I couldn't just cut out 4 or 5 of these and epoxy them into a hole in the CB instead of melting all that lead?

Dale1956 - Doing a closed transom.

Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:23 am
by topwater
I have seen guys use shotgun shot with epoxy in center boards.
I dont see why you couldnt use sheets.

Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:00 pm
by gk108
Just make sure the layers are well bonded to each other and the rest of the foil. Use nails in the perimeter of the holes, like casting in place or something like that.

There's sheet lead in the rudder of my O'Day. Can't tell just how they did it because it was crumpled from the damage that I was patching. :doh:

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:20 pm
by Hammertime
We taped and glassed the bottom. After everything was done I did not like the look of the glass at the tape lines. There were LOTS of small air bubbles. Pondered for a day or two and decided to sand them out. Ended up sanding all the seam lines through the glass to the tape. We have filled the holes, I thought these would fill with the epoxy when we put the glass down---They didn't. After finishing sanding this area I plan on putting a layer of glass over the seam replace what has been sanded off.

Any one see anything wrong with this?

Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:12 pm
by Hammertime
Just got done ordering more epoxy and some more 6 oz glass.

I wish there was a way to recycle epoxy after you sand it off. I think I have sanded off 2 gal of the stuff. Have used about 4 gal in the build.

Still trying to decide what to do with the centerboard weight. I have lead sheats that I have cut to fit in the hole in the centerboard, but cannot bring myself to believe that I can put them in without having air pockets between the sheets. I might just melt the lead and fill the hole that way.

Bill