SH14 Starting a new Sharpie called Little Mae

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: SH14 Starting a new Sharpie

Post by bondo »

There you go. That does look like you're building a boat. I can see the mast looking good in the background too. Thanks for the picture. (I encourage you to post lots of pictures)

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

here you go:

Hank

MWhiting04
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MWhiting04 »

Lots of progress this weekend.

Started filleting after redoing the stitching. Needed to add spaces to avoid wood on wood.
The spot filleting will have to sit till later in the week.

I added a few pics to the builders gallery.
Included one of the mast before final sanding.

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage.php?pid=48230

MWhiting04
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MWhiting04 »

Not sure if anyone is reading these but it helps me in my learning process.

I have quickly learned that thicker fillets is better than thin ones.
I was trying to work with a thinner fillet mixture and found I could not shape it to get the 3/4 to 1 inch radius.
I thickened up the putty and it looks and molds much better.

The things you have to learn on your own. I did read about a putty the consistency of peanut butter but it really needs to be thicker than that. My test is if I don't break my wide pop cycle stick when I hold it up high then it is not thick enough.

I hate waiting for the stuff to dry so I can move on.

Now that I am doing the full fillets I can tape it shortly and do not have to wait for a complete dry fillet.
I really need someone mixing while I fillet because I can apply it faster than I can mix more.

I also lowered the boat to make it easier on my back. On a normal size saw horse I was bending over the rail to get to the inside.
Now it is a better height so I don't have to reach over as much.
All for now.
Mike

MWhiting04
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MWhiting04 »

Ok next phase. Finished Fillets and glassed the seams.

Found the best way to wet out the tape was to use my fingers while wearing gloves.

Tried a brush but it was too stiff.

Tooth brush would have taken to long.

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage.php?pid=48253

Mike

Walkers Run
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Walkers Run »

I like to add a little silica to the wood flower for fillets. You want to work wet on wet. Glass right over wet fillets.

Where in the finger lakes are you. I grew up on owasco lake.
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
https://youtu.be/nzWO9FVJODo

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

If you want an easier way to wet out tape, pre cut the tape before you lay down the fillet, fillet the seams
and let it set up a little then wet out the tape on a table coverd with plastic , if the tape is short enough
just carry it over to the seam and lay it on. If the tape is long roll it up on a cardboard tube and roll it
out on the seam. I did 23 ft stringers this way works good and is fast. make sure you use a roller or brush
to work out any air bubbles and to press the tape in place.
Novi 23 finally launched !

MWhiting04
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MWhiting04 »

We are between Seneca Lake and Canandaigua lake and just north of Keuka lake. So lots of water to learn to sail on.

I am doing wet on wet when I am doing the full fillets. The spot fillets I had to wait so I could remove the ties. Didnt need to but the idea of leaving plastic in the joint did not settle with me. I did leave 4 in at the transom because I just filleted over them.

Why add Silica? Does it make is stronger?

I may try the idea of wetting down on a bench first and then transporting to the boat. My back is aching from leaning over for hours trying to wet it down. I am getting old.

MWhiting04
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MWhiting04 »

Ok decided to get ambitious tonight.
I flipped the boat, planned, sanded, filleted, and glassed all the seams.

Once I started I could not stop until it was done.

I am dreading the next part, seats and CB.
But I just need to take it one step at a time.

I think I am using to much epoxy and wood flour. I am nearly out of wood flour and about 1/3 of the way through my epoxy.
Doesn't matter because I plan to glass the entire bottom and up the sides, so I will need more epoxy.

I picked up some cheap cloth, wont name the store. It has some damaged threads. I did not care because I am going to paint the boat so a clear coat is not what I am looking for. I got 20 yards at 50" wide. That is plenty.
More pics in the builders gallery.

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage.php?pid=48275

MWhiting04
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MWhiting04 »

Really it setting in. I have to do a bunch, and bunch of sanding. For an impatient person that is a nightmare.
I decided that I will rough sand the entire inside before I start on the seats and CB.

I realized something now that I am stepping back a bit. When I filleted the frames in I filleted right to the top of the side. Now I have to remove mch of the fillet to put in the rubrail. Otherswise the rail will stop before each frame and not butt up nicely.

Just more sanding and filing.

No new pics to share, not much to see at this point. Added a second Fiber coat on the Transom and bow inside tonight. Sand tomorrow forever and then maybe sunday second fiber coat on the outside transom and bow.

I seem to have alot of biaxle tape left over. Two rolls with the kit and I have not even gone through one roll.
From the plans I deduced that you dont need to fiber the frames or did I miss read that. I am going to double the fiber on the outside of the butt blocks for more support. Should I double the tape on the outside bottom edges?

Sand is a four letter word, it feels like one.

By the way the electric plane is a great tool. I was able to plane the outside bottom in minutes and to round the chines over for the tape nicely. No elbow brease or broken knuckles needed.
Till later.
Mike