AD 14 KIELGE

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: AD 14 KIELGE

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful Karl!!! Congratulations!!! Jeff

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot »

It looks real good Karl I finley got my boat out for the first time this year I covered 23.3 miles on the lake in 5.3 hours with the avg speed of 4.1 MPH not bad for the first trip of the year. The GPS is handy for tracking speed. On launching it took me only a few minits i winder if there is a different launch ram in your area that would work better on the ramps here i can get it in and out of the water and not even get a wet foot.If I do it properley. On the carbon mast I have the same problem raising it and lowering it if I have someone with me it is no problem but alone it is hard I need to get my mast bottom centered over the hole in the deck so it must be streight up and that is hard to do. If the deck were longer a person could get it started and then walk it up i have thought of doing something like you have i have a stub pipe that sticks out of the deck by around 3 inches i might be able to cut one side of it off and have something like you have. How dose that work?

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi George,
Did you sail all this distance or use the motor a lot ?
Yes I lay the mast end exactly at the hole against my wooden contraption and tie a line from it to the mast shoe at the bottom of the boat in front of frame A. This makes sure that the mast end cannot get away from the hole. Here are the two pictures of mast partner and shoe again.

I will try in my driveway to walk my aluminium mast up the way you explained it with 2 long garden tool extension rods. When I get it right with them it would be much quicker than mounting the shear legs in a fixed position. It will definitely work easy with a carbon mast which I am pretty sure I will get.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot »

I used the motor for part of it there was a good wind blowing up the lake and part way back to the dock the waves came up so i was fighting 2 to 3 foot waves this boat handles those waves well you get some spray from it but it is fun. This is the first time out in 2 years last year I did not get it out at all. This year I am going out at least once a week. The lake I was on is tidel so when the tide is coming in and the wind is blowing it can get quite rough. You can see the large power boats getting pounded big time and I just putt along . I will look into that mast idea you have. My father in law built a 27 foot sail boat and he had a somilar idea to yours for rasing the mast. But where you are using poles he had to cables actuley the side stays and he would hook them to the sides of the boat and he would use his for stay and a come along to pull it vertical the side stays stopped to from falling off to the sides he also had a rear stay that would stop it going to far forward it worked quite well he sailed that boat for over 20 years and never had any problems with that system

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

das boot wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:47 pm I used the motor for part of it there was a good wind blowing up the lake and part way back to the dock the waves came up so i was fighting 2 to 3 foot waves this boat handles those waves well you get some spray from it but it is fun. This is the first time out in 2 years last year I did not get it out at all. This year I am going out at least once a week. The lake I was on is tidel so when the tide is coming in and the wind is blowing it can get quite rough. You can see the large power boats getting pounded big time and I just putt along . I will look into that mast idea you have. My father in law built a 27 foot sail boat and he had a somilar idea to yours for rasing the mast. But where you are using poles he had to cables actuley the side stays and he would hook them to the sides of the boat and he would use his for stay and a come along to pull it vertical the side stays stopped to from falling off to the sides he also had a rear stay that would stop it going to far forward it worked quite well he sailed that boat for over 20 years and never had any problems with that system
Good to hear that you're still enjoying your Adelie after all these years. It's also good to hear the reports on how she sails.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
Thanks George and Bogie for the information. As there is nothing as boring as a finished boat I am busy to get my new 3,5 KG Carbon mast together.
It cost quite a bit but I will be able to raise it by myself with this small weight.

Here the first picture of it where I put the 4 pieces together for a test:

I have sanded the inside of the masts and the connection pieces slightly with 120 grid paper and now they are ready to be glued into the mast.

Unfortunately I have to wait for the ordered epoxy to do the gluing until August 10th because my supplier is on holiday till then.

Greetings from Karl

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

That's great Karl!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice Karl!! Really good to hear from you!! Jeff

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Hi Karl, I'm really interested in your carbon fibre mast build. :D I'm wondering how you decided what size carbon fibre tube to use ?
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
The size of the carbon tube was determined by my aluminium mast which is a standard mast of 55 by 60 mm. I wanted something as strong as that and I did not want to have a bigger hole at the mast partner and foot and then there was the consideration to have a mast like the windsurfers who have a maximum length mast of 4,70 meters and can stick 2 halves of it together which appealed to me as well. Windsurfers masts bend quite a bit like pole vaulters in athletics and therefore I looked for stiff carbon pipes which I found in France at www.carbonrohr.net and only 4 mm in diameter wider than what I really wanted. That is how I came to 55 ( outside diameter ) x 51 ( inside diameter ) x 3000 mm pipes. For the first sail I will try not to glue the top half of the mast just to stick it onto the 30 cm insert. My friends at the JRA ( Junk Rig Association ) advised me to try it and if I am not happy with the take apart mast I can always glue it together and strengthen it with some left over carbon sleeves from my boom and yard build. One chap also gave me a formula with which I can calculate the breaking point of the mast with parameters like sail area, 15 knot wind speed, sail centre and bending strength of my poles. What he does not know is that no Austrian lake will see me sailing in 15 knot winds. But it is good to know where my mast will break. I will strengthen the mast with carbon sleeves at the partner and at the mast foot right from the start and I will also use it at the top of the mast where the inserted piece of 50 mm diameter sticks out 20 cm to give me the correct length.

Here is a picture of my dry run of the sleeve around the pole.

It looks here as if it is too wide but when one pulls the sleeve it becomes narrower and wetted out with epoxy it is less than a mm thick.

Greetings from Karl