Hayloft VG23

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
andrew lucking
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by andrew lucking »

Well, I managed to remove the framing, sand the hull and get a good part of it taped up this weekend.

Here's a shot after sanding:

You'll notice how I "hooked" the side panels with some scrap plywood to help them keep their shape. I was actually quite amazed at how sturdy it is even before taping any of the seams.

I 've uploaded a few more pics to the gallery:
http://gallery.bateau2.comindex.php?cat=12054

Cheers,
A.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

I've found that scissors do an excellent job of removing epoxy from hair.
no... I'm not going to say anything...

ks

andrew lucking
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by andrew lucking »

ks8 wrote:
I've found that scissors do an excellent job of removing epoxy from hair.
no... I'm not going to say anything...

ks
lol, how could ya when we have evidence like this KS? :P

It was such a nice evening here in Montreal I decided to spend a few hours in the loft and finished filleting and taping the seams. I must say my fillets are nowhere near as pretty as those in the pics in KS's gallery. Anyway, looks like I've some more sanding to do on the weekend. :roll:

Cheers,
A.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

ZING!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fillets have to do their thing... they don't have to be pretty. But they get better with more practice. Chine fillets, I think, on your boat, like mine, will never be seen anyway... they only have to be strong, not perfectly faired.

Remember, some of my fillets were sloppy first, then cured, ground, and then I added a bit more material and laid on the glass wet-on wet. It's almost cheating. I guard my trick back. So if I can't get it done wet-on-wet immediately, all at once, I just let a small and *not quite so pretty but strong enough* fillet cure, then grind a bit and finalize it as stated above. But it takes time and a bit more epoxy. The gallery captions summarize.

It looks like you are going to love that vagabond! Go to it!

I'll have to be more careful what pictures I post!

Have you decided how to get the boat out of the barn yet??? Any barn swallows signing your work???

Sincerely,
ks

andrew lucking
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by andrew lucking »

ks8 wrote:I'll have to be more careful what pictures I post
Yikes, don't do that. I for one enjoy looking at pics of the way it should be done :wink: The workmanship demonstrated in some of the photos of the various builders here really is inspiring.

Heh, heh, the birds have a favourite roosting spot directly above the bow. A tarp will definitely be required over the winter or I'll need a shovel come next spring.

As for getting her out, the "suggestion of the week" has been to seal off the the alleyway below and fill it with water. I'm still in "negotiations" with my folks who own the stable as to the amount of structural damage permitted. :lol::lol:

Cheers,
A.

Eric
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric »

Hi Andrew

I'm in Plattsburgh area, not too far from you. When your ready to get he down post here or e-mail me and I'll come up.

Eric
Eric Van Nostrand
Rainbow Boat Works

andrew lucking
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by andrew lucking »

Eric,

That would be awesome if you could make it up! I should warn you the stable where I'm building is actually located about 45 mins. north of Montreal. I will definitely get in touch with plenty of advance notice before hand but suspect with the present rate of progress, (not to mention "funding"), it won't be for atleast a year or two. :(

Man, this group is fantastic.

Cheers,
A.

jasonmcintosh
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jasonmcintosh »

I don't know what all the barn is used for, but in case you haven't thought of it I'd caution you about letting the sanding dust get all over in the barn. If there's feed in the barn (such as hay bales, etc.) or if there are animals kept in the barn, the fiberglass laden dust will get all over them and will make life miserable for the animals.

I highly recommend using a shop vac attached to your sanders to suck up all of the dust right away. That dust gets EVERYWHERE. Hanging tarps help, but arn't perfect unless you really tape them off well.

And I wish I was your neighbor. I'd love to help with the boat and where you live sounds beautiful.

jason
Hopefully fishing from my GF18

andrew lucking
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by andrew lucking »

Hi Jason,

You raise a good point. I've been covering the small pile of straw in the loft with a tarp when sanding but you can never be too cautious with these things.
Conveniently for me the feed and bedding is now stored in a separate hayshed (that coincidently my brother and I built a few years back). I like the shop-vac idea...
...where you live sounds beautiful.
Do me a favour and remind me of that one January afternoon when you come in from a day on the Florida waters :lol:

Cheers,
A

jasonmcintosh
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jasonmcintosh »

I lived in Minnesota for the first 34 years of my life. I actually like the change of seasons over what south florida has (hot and hotter). But now that I have a boat, the little lakes of minnesota pale in comparison to the water available down here.

The fiberglass dust is pretty annoying stuff. I'd shower after sanding, but I'd still be itching from the fibers until I fell asleep. And if I didn't change the sheets, I'd feel the itch the next night even if I didn't do any sanding.

jason
Hopefully fishing from my GF18