finding a pro to finish a SB18?

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Rob Eades
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

finding a pro to finish a SB18?

Post by Rob Eades »

Back in Oct I adopted the unfinished SB18 project from Little Rock Arkansas that needed to find a home desperately.I plan to finish all the glasswork, but would like to find a competent pro to finish her up.Im talking final fairing and painting,mast and all rigging,sprit and lifting keel.I realize this can't be anything but EXPENSIVE,but I need her to be finished right and hopefully faster than I could ever do it.Any ideas on finding the right yard to take this on? :doh:

Rob

Stuff
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: finding a pro to finish a SB18?

Post by Stuff »

You should look at a body repair schools. They are always looking at projects for their students. Also the put more efforts than professionals since they get graded on the quality of work. Just my two cent.
Stuff

remedy32
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by remedy32 »

That's a pretty diverse set of challenges. Bad news is that the only place which brings all these skills together is a full service boatyard. Agree that painting can be done by many; but the build out of the keel cassette and rig are more specialized for sure. Please don't take this the wrong way but it would be very easy top create a $15k SB18 with a pretty low resale value, always a problem with home builds. In fact that's one of the 2 reasons I never built an i550 for which I have plans....second reason is that it's butt ugly.

Wish you all good luck.

Bill
CT USA

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Correct about the skills.
You'll have to separate the jobs.

A good auto body person can take care of the fairing and paint but before that, I would finish the boat.

Put an ad on Craigslist list for somebody who has boating experience or at least can do the fiberglass work for the CB and spi tube.

The rigging is easy once the chain plates are in place. If you have the mast and chain plates, you can decide about the standing rigging lengths: I think we give them from the CL of the mast to the deck.
I will check and help once you have the spars and chain plates.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com