New AD14 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: New AD14 build

Post by terrulian »

Instead of pasting the URL, click "Img" above and then paste the URL of the image. Then the image will appear in the body of your post.
Tony

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

waytootall wrote:Since it proved not too hard I went ahead and added the stem wedge.

Thats good news :) I am happy you got the wedge to fit without to much trouble. Regards Salvatore

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,

As someone mentioned it is important to have a good base on which you build the AD14. I thought I made mine strong enough until today. I removed the support at the transom to be able to fair it right to the corner, so the boat was only supported underneath frame A B C and D. With my weight of 120 kg I managed today when I stepped from the stepladder into the boat to let the last 2 supports ( under frame C and D ) collaps towards the transom. I got quite a fright and I hope the bottom of the boat is not damaged which I will see only when I lift it of the building jig. I tell you this story, because I saw your son underneath the boat and advise to be always careful.

Here is the picture which teaches me to fix the supports also in a horizontal way :

Greetings from Karl ( Austria )
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall »

I was afraid of that happening as well so I have 6 support points under the hull. No that I have some time off for the holidays I am making some progress. I finished assembly of the CB trunk and re-testing the fit of the centerboard and it still fits.

I cutout floor frames B & C and positioned the the frames and CB trunk.

I positioned the CB trunk based on the frames and stations drawings, from reading the many posts about how to position it and from a short conversation with Jaques when I went to pick up my plywood. Then after marking, drilling and fiberglassing everything in place I discovered the 2 additional measurements on drawing 264/3 (construction and lamination) that show exactly where to put the CB trunk. I am about 2 inches too far to the stern. I am not going to try and re-do it. I will just make adjustments to to decking and sole as necessary. Here are pictures of the frames and CB trunk instaled.

I still have some epoxy coats to full out the fiberglass. I will do that at the same time I glue and fiberglass in frames A & D. I am cutting them out today and installing tomorrow.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Your fiberglass looks a little white. Are you certain that you use enough epoxy?
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall »

No, I am not certain. Along the inside of the hull sides I know I didn't use enough. On the CB trunk and frames I saturated until the epoxy was just running off and pooling at the bottom. I was planning to do more coats to fill it in, but I could be doing something wrong.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

It's in between the two.
I was in Melbourne last week and have to go to Eau Gallie next week. If you want, I'll stop by, email.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall »

I sent you an email. I will keep working on it until I get it right. On the sides of the CB trunk I got the fiberglass looking pretty good. But that was on a flat surface. I guess I have more learning to do on vertical surfaces and corners. Hopefully I can get it right while working on surfaces that won't be seen :)

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall »

I got frame A built and installed.

Note the triple thickness on the top and double thickness on the bottom, which I only figured out by reading blog entries from previous builders. Thank you for that.

I also built and dry-fit frame D.

I won't accomplish much for the next week due to family vacation. But I received my 250lbs of lead shot ballast and my Delrin block so I will finish up me centerboard when I get back and continue with the framing.

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot »

On trying to work out where to cut the slot in the bottom of the boat to fit the keel I used a long drill bit and drilled from the inside of the keel box to find the two rear corners then it was just measuring from there to find the front locations to drill then a saber saw to cut the thing out. One of the hardest parts to get good glassing on is that slot in the bottom it is a sharp corner and heavy glass dose not like that. I used a bunch of light lares of glass for that it worked.