New AD14 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: New AD14 build

Post by Salvatore »

Hi,

Welcome to the AD club, your AD14 is already taking shape. If I may ask, just check that the wheels on your frame are strong enough to take the weight, you could have as much as 200kg of boat plus two people working on your boat add another 200kg that adds upto 400kg = 800lbs aprox, If they fail on you it will not be fun fixing the problem after.

Regards Salvatore.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK7N0Z3MuI9Awisupeh_7dw

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

PS: I notice that the small wedge strip is missing in the bow of your boat? if you leave that piece out it will throw out your measurements when you go to install your cabin sections, it will create errors in the panel sizes. I was able to remove the wedge piece from my boat but I had to redo some of the sizes, I worked all this out beforehand, I actually made the side panels longer at the top edge, being a builder I was able to resize all the panels accordingly, my boat is actually 4cm= 1& half inch longer than the plan, this is from the tip of the bow to the stern. If you want a sharp edge on your bow but cain't work out the new sizes just add a solid wedge onto the bow after. If you do look at my boat please note that I made changes to the design above the waterline, making changes to the boat below the waterline will change the way the boat sails and is a big no no, I asked for help from Jacques when I wanted to make a small change to the keal. Most of the pictures of my boat + georges boat and some others, are in the "builders Galleries" on this web site just type AD16 in the search field to find them. I hope this info is helpfull. You will love sailing you AD14 they are easy to sail and even a novice can sail it.

Salvatore

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall »

I admit that I don't know what you are referring to when you say I left out the small wedge strip on the bow. I didn't leave anything out on purpose so if something is missing it means I made a mistake, but I can't figure out what. Could you point me in some way to the piece you are referring to?

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall »

Das boot, thanks for the step by step advice on the glassing. I did OK on the tape for the but-jointed panels and seams but I had some definite problems with the fabric on the bottom and I believe your advice will help me with that when I get to more visible areas. I won't get much more done for a couple of weeks with all the kids activities this time of year but I hope to accomplish a lot around Christmas and New Years.

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

waytootall wrote:I admit that I don't know what you are referring to when you say I left out the small wedge strip on the bow. Could you point me in some way to the piece you are referring to?
G,day, very happy to do so :) . The two pictures below are of George's boat, I got them from the forum galleries, His boat is a AD16 like mine the AD14 and AD16 are identical except for length. It would be sad if you looked at pictures of my boat and made a mistake because of me :( . The bow has a flat piece that is wide at the top and nothing at the waterline. In your plans you should find where it is drawn, please ask Karl as his is a AD14 like yours and the plans are identical. The guys on the forum were a great help to me while I was building my boat, because of them, I built my boat faster and better than it would have been, with less mistakes. please let me know if you require any further info.
Kind regards Salvatore from down under

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,

As Salvatore mentioned I am also building an AD14 and the wedge at the bow you find on plan D264/6 named Expand Plates and it is in the middle of this plan sheet. But it looks from your picture that you made the bow without the wedge already. I just hope you can squeeze the sides far enough apart to get frame A into the boat without any problem.
If you want to put the wedge in you have to cut the connection between the 2 sides at the bow open and then it should be easy to insert the wedge.

The dark piece of wood is the wedge on my bow in the following picture, just to give you an idea what Salvatore mentioned:

Greetings from Karl ( Austria )
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I like the wedge, it's pretty and it's easy to join the panels that way but you can also build without that wedge.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall »

Wow, thanks everyone. I completely missed that. I will see if I can retro-fit that back in without too much trouble.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

It is not very important. No need to change anything.
That part is on the plates dimensions drawing, marked stem.
It is also visible on the plan view of the construction drawing.
I like because it makes assembly of the bow very easy: just a few temporary screws in lieu of stitches.
Later, you can double it and have a nice flat spot for the U bolt and the forestay plate.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall »

Since it proved not too hard I went ahead and added the stem wedge. I want to stick as close to the design as possible so I don't run into unforeseen problems later.

Last edited by waytootall on Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.