attaching the skeg to Prameke Sail version

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
seatime
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

attaching the skeg to Prameke Sail version

Post by seatime »

I am in the process of attaching the skeg to the Prameke...Should I bed it in epoxy with stainless steel screws and washers also securing it. Or bed in marine grade calk. The thing that concerns me is if I ever have to replace the skeg that has been embedded in epoxy...well, its going to break off some of the hull in the epoxied area.

Please advise

Best

Seatime
Seatime

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: attaching the skeg to Prameke Sail version

Post by Jaysen »

Epoxy. If I recall screws should be temporary. To remove the skeg use a oscillating multi tool (what I call the SOB tool). With that and a flush cut blade you can get right at the hull with no damage.

If you think about it, leaving a tad of the old skeg as a "mounting stump" would make a new skeg easier to attach. Scribe a straight line on the old skeg, cut off the damaged part, make a new "all straight edges" skeg, epoxy, glass, fair and graphite. shape, alignment and clamping would be a bit easier than trying to match the curves of the hull.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

It's shown in the Sticth and Glue 101:
http://bateau2.com/howto/sg101_8.php

No screws or nails in our boat hulls.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

seatime
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by seatime »

Thanks for the info and link in regard to the keel/skeg installation. WILL DO!
Seatime