AD16 (Tipsy) Myrtle Beach

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by Bogieman »

I will most likely lower the rail 3 or 4” before doing the final install

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Dry fit of the rail lowered to 14”. It should be more functional at this height and it looks better. Next step is to drill through the pipe to make way for the through bolts.
Attachments
D7C5C5A9-4964-4AF1-B03D-ED0129FFABEC.jpeg
6CCCD30B-AC91-49A1-B286-0DACF05B1A51.jpeg
78E61A4F-0C99-471A-ADCC-A4FD616E55F1.jpeg
3843402C-D81D-4AD9-BBAB-DFA3E5A080E1.jpeg
03523CCE-4409-415C-8497-C2C0AFAB533E.jpeg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Bogie, she looks great!!! Jeff

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Bogie,
Where is the main sheet block going to be?
Tony

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Jeff wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:48 pm Bogie, she looks great!!! Jeff
Thanks Jeff!

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

terrulian wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:32 pm Bogie,
Where is the main sheet block going to be?
It's supposed to attach to a fidel block & cam cleat at the aft end of the Centerboard case in the cockpit

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi Bogie,
I started building my own push pits until I found these from an Italian manufacturer. I strongly advise you to give your rails a forward support ( = make it triangular ) which is needed because of peoples weight against the sides when sitting on the benches. Your pipe might bend exactly where it comes out from the bench. I found out that there is quite some force when my cheap clip on snap shackles bent open when 2 normal persons leant against the side.
( Have replaced them since with very strong ss ones. ) Dont know what would have happened if I was leaning against it we would have landed in the water. Getting on board by stepping over the straps is no problem but I always snap them on later.If you fix them permanently you can make them nice and tight which is not possible with my removable straps and therefore I am not at the end of my strap concoction. I want to make bench cushion which have a vertical part sliding over the side straps. The main sheet connection I have on a removable steel line between my 2 push pits at the transom above the rudder . You could attach the horsed sheet to your cross rail which will again have to endure some upwards force, I think that is why most travellers on sailboats are strong stainless steel bars. But a real sailor can give you advise on that. In my next post I will send you a picture of a horsed sheet out of my Practical Junk Rig bible so you know what I mean for your cross rail.

Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi Bogey,

Here is the promised picture and you might use something like this to attach the main sheet block Tony was asking for.

And lots of luck with finishing the last bits so we can sail against each other in Spring you in the USA and I on Atterse Austria, We could arrange it one Sunday morning 8 AM starting time ( your side 2 PM ) and finishing 4 hours later, the winner is who has covered the most distance ( I measure with a Lawrence log ) you must guess if you have not got a log yet.

Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Can you just run lifelines from the rail?

I decided to add them to mine.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

gonandkarl wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:45 am Hi Bogey,

Here is the promised picture and you might use something like this to attach the main sheet block Tony was asking for.

And lots of luck with finishing the last bits so we can sail against each other in Spring you in the USA and I on Atterse Austria, We could arrange it one Sunday morning 8 AM starting time ( your side 2 PM ) and finishing 4 hours later, the winner is who has covered the most distance ( I measure with a Lawrence log ) you must guess if you have not got a log yet.

Greetings from Karl
Hi Karl! I accept your sailboat racing challenge, Good Sir and will inform you when Tipsy is ready :lol: I haven't heard of a Lawrence log but will look into it today.

Thank you for the diagram of your lug sail. It is really neat. I have decided to use the modified rig that Jacques shows in the plans so I won't have all those lines coming off the aft end of the sail and I won't be using a rear traveller. My rig will be about as simple as it gets.

I really like your stainless steel pushpits and wish I could've found someone to machine some for me, but no luck. The galvanized pipe I used has a diameter of almost 1" and does not flex or bend (even at the 5' length across the transom). The downward / vertical pieces extend down thru the seat tops approximately 9" and are thru bolted thru the transom with 5/16" SS hex bolts, nuts and washers. It is very solid. I jerked, yanked, leaned and pulled hard against it and it does not move an inch. I think it will be adequate but it doesn't look as nice as your stern rails.

Great hearing from you,

Bogie