AD16 (Tipsy) Myrtle Beach

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by Netpackrat »

Instead of rope, a top rail of tubing that fits in a socket at one end, is secured by a pin through an open top socket at the other, and has a convenient boat hook built into it.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

fallguy1000 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:59 am Looks way better with the ropes.

Now glop somefairing over those pipe threads and paint them rails white please!
Thanks! The plan all along has been to paint them chrome colored or white

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Netpackrat wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:15 am Instead of rope, a top rail of tubing that fits in a socket at one end, is secured by a pin through an open top socket at the other, and has a convenient boat hook built into it.
Thanks! The top rail idea is something I thought of too but, again, too expensive. I may come back and revisit the lifeline / stern rail issue once I've had some fun sailing her for a season. If I'm going to get her in the water this spring (which has been my goal all along) these types of budgetary decisions have to be made, especially considering the fact that I still have to purchase a boom, sail, rigging, lighting and all the required safety gear.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Bogie, you are really close to splashing her!!!!! Jeff

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Bogieman wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:00 am
Netpackrat wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:15 am Instead of rope, a top rail of tubing that fits in a socket at one end, is secured by a pin through an open top socket at the other, and has a convenient boat hook built into it.
Thanks! The top rail idea is something I thought of too but, again, too expensive. I may come back and revisit the lifeline / stern rail issue once I've had some fun sailing her for a season. If I'm going to get her in the water this spring (which has been my goal all along) these types of budgetary decisions have to be made, especially considering the fact that I still have to purchase a boom, sail, rigging, lighting and all the required safety gear.
The tubing and socket idea is great! If the stern pipe bends or flexes to much, the tube once in place will transfer the stress off the stern pipe to the midship attachment point. Then the line underneath can be used to tighten the attachment points of the tubing. Win/win.

Maybe painting the pipe white would look better than chrome.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

You know, on a boat this size you don't really need any lifelines back here, nor the stern rail...at least for now. I've sailed on plenty of boats in the 20-ft range without any of this, not even a pulpit forward. I think I'd just get her launched and see how you feel with the boat out on the water rather than jury rig something. Then later, when maybe there's a budget for it and you think you need it, design something.
Last edited by terrulian on Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

terrulian wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:39 am You know, on a boat this size you don't really need any lifelines back hear, nor the stern rail...at least for now. I've sailed on plenty of boats in the 20-ft range without any of this, not even a pulpit forward. I think I'd just get her launched and see how you feel with the boat out on the water rather than jury rig something. Then later, when maybe there's a budget for it and you think you need it, design something.
I agree. It’s a good plan for now. Thank you all for your input

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
I am a bit late with my idea, but Jasons Spanish windlass next to the rear pipe will work and you can arrest it with a little round hook at the end of the wooden piece and just push the hook against the vertical rail. But I also agree with Tony just splash and see what you still have to do. There is nothing as boring as a finished boat. You will modify as long as you sail it. I am definitely in this modifying situation. I got out of this conversation the input I needed for tensioning my straps. I will put a short piece of rope at the end of my straps and try the Spanish windlass and most of all let you know with pictures of it.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

gonandkarl wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:18 am Hi,
I am a bit late with my idea, but Jasons Spanish windlass next to the rear pipe will work and you can arrest it with a little round hook at the end of the wooden piece and just push the hook against the vertical rail. But I also agree with Tony just splash and see what you still have to do. There is nothing as boring as a finished boat. You will modify as long as you sail it. I am definitely in this modifying situation. I got out of this conversation the input I needed for tensioning my straps. I will put a short piece of rope at the end of my straps and try the Spanish windlass and most of all let you know with pictures of it.
Greetings from Karl
Hi Karl!
Yes, that sounds good. I'm curious to see your pictures too!

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

So this is my solution. At least for now. I still need to purchase another eyebolt and some nuts. I even found a way to hide the threads and once that pipe is painted no one will even notice. I will have to inspect the rope regularly because it crosses the threads but it shouldn’t be a big deal
Attachments
5CD6430F-64C5-4FEF-AF1B-E2E86E679EEF.jpeg
E0D4E8C9-AFC9-404B-A9AC-9484F74DFE79.jpeg
CABF5430-BB3C-401B-A5AD-DCBCFB27FDF5.jpeg
834537A1-7C09-4586-8D46-6B8475EE3A0F.jpeg
1E10F8A4-DD62-405E-A6CA-8945A0958817.jpeg
4599A4D6-6030-4FAF-8B9A-F44BD0BC92B3.jpeg
321F6BF8-3452-40DF-B5A7-FE48E05CA77E.jpeg