AD16 (Tipsy) Myrtle Beach

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by Capt UB »

Check out this site for stern rails and such...

https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by- ... tanchions/

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Capt UB wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:50 pm Check out this site for stern rails and such...

https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by- ... tanchions/
Thank you!

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Sooooo the past few days I’ve ran into one setback after another-all my fault too😀 First, the Beautiful second coat of paint I applied didn’t have a chance to fully cure before the temperature dropped and it ended up covered in dew. When I wiped away the dew drops the next morning the paint was ruined and I had to re-sand again. Then yesterday when I was cutting the plexiglass windows I nearly ruined the entire $79 sheet (twice) by using the wrong size jigsaw blade . I eventually used a superfine blade on my scroll saw ( not the jigsaw) and that worked fine. Next up I had to drill holes every 3 inches along the edge of the glass. I practiced on a few of the scrap pieces I had ruined earlier and learned that I needed to tape both sides to prevent the drillbit from chipping or cracking the glass as the hole was being made. The only tape I had was a duct tape so I use that. What a big mistake that was !!!!! It took me almost 3 hours and a lot of WD-40 and scraping to get the tape and residue off. And finally, the tint that I bought for the windows did not stick to the plexiglass so I have to figure something else out—-oh, and the stainless steel through bolts I bought for the windows ended up being too short so I have to go back and exchange them for longer ones 😂. It was a one step forward and two steps back couple days

Anyway, here is a picture of Tipsy with the starboard side window temporarily installed with the tent that I have to replace
Attachments
1A47664A-2E95-41AA-A960-0FF6C165ECA2.jpeg
20A4678D-02F1-4FA6-90A8-3A45ADE5F149.jpeg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Sorry about the issues Bogie!!!! She does look great!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

She needs some artwork!

Looking good. You’re going to have a blast in that boat.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Sometimes it feels like you can do nothing right. We all have those days but the big thing is you kept at it and worked your way through it. Boat is looking good. You are making progress for sure.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Thank you Jeff, Jaysen, Fuzz and Netpackrat!

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Bogieman wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:59 pm Sooooo the past few days I’ve ran into one setback after another-all my fault too😀 First, the Beautiful second coat of paint I applied didn’t have a chance to fully cure before the temperature dropped and it ended up covered in dew. When I wiped away the dew drops the next morning the paint was ruined and I had to re-sand again. Then yesterday when I was cutting the plexiglass windows I nearly ruined the entire $79 sheet (twice) by using the wrong size jigsaw blade . I eventually used a superfine blade on my scroll saw ( not the jigsaw) and that worked fine. Next up I had to drill holes every 3 inches along the edge of the glass. I practiced on a few of the scrap pieces I had ruined earlier and learned that I needed to tape both sides to prevent the drillbit from chipping or cracking the glass as the hole was being made. The only tape I had was a duct tape so I use that. What a big mistake that was !!!!! It took me almost 3 hours and a lot of WD-40 and scraping to get the tape and residue off. And finally, the tint that I bought for the windows did not stick to the plexiglass so I have to figure something else out—-oh, and the stainless steel through bolts I bought for the windows ended up being too short so I have to go back and exchange them for longer ones 😂. It was a one step forward and two steps back couple days

Anyway, here is a picture of Tipsy with the starboard side window temporarily installed with the tent that I have to replace
Nice! 8)

I hope this does not sound odd, but these sort of postings are very helpful for new builders. I might have been spared many hours of redo if there were many such posts when I had started back around 2000. Of course, they do not help unless one is looking for them, and reads them (and they are readable). For those who say, "It's not the destination... it's the journey...", alright, you go ahead and run with that... but after 60 years of journeying, I sure have learned how to appreciate an occasional destination with its satisfactions. :lol:

That said, although your paint got 'dewed' first time around, that picture does communicate some good satisfaction! And you know someone is enjoying the build when there are occasional pictures of feet ....

some examples to add to yours ....

and...

Enjoy the destinations too! :D

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

ks8 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:00 pm
Bogieman wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:59 pm Sooooo the past few days I’ve ran into one setback after another-all my fault too😀 First, the Beautiful second coat of paint I applied didn’t have a chance to fully cure before the temperature dropped and it ended up covered in dew. When I wiped away the dew drops the next morning the paint was ruined and I had to re-sand again. Then yesterday when I was cutting the plexiglass windows I nearly ruined the entire $79 sheet (twice) by using the wrong size jigsaw blade . I eventually used a superfine blade on my scroll saw ( not the jigsaw) and that worked fine. Next up I had to drill holes every 3 inches along the edge of the glass. I practiced on a few of the scrap pieces I had ruined earlier and learned that I needed to tape both sides to prevent the drillbit from chipping or cracking the glass as the hole was being made. The only tape I had was a duct tape so I use that. What a big mistake that was !!!!! It took me almost 3 hours and a lot of WD-40 and scraping to get the tape and residue off. And finally, the tint that I bought for the windows did not stick to the plexiglass so I have to figure something else out—-oh, and the stainless steel through bolts I bought for the windows ended up being too short so I have to go back and exchange them for longer ones 😂. It was a one step forward and two steps back couple days

Nice! 8)

I hope this does not sound odd, but these sort of postings are very helpful for new builders. I might have been spared many hours of redo if there were many such posts when I had started back around 2000. Of course, they do not help unless one is looking for them, and reads them (and they are readable). For those who say, "It's not the destination... it's the journey...", alright, you go ahead and run with that... but after 60 years of journeying, I sure have learned how to appreciate an occasional destination with its satisfactions. :lol:

That said, although your paint got 'dewed' first time around, that picture does communicate some good satisfaction! And you know someone is enjoying the build when there are occasional pictures of feet ....

some examples to add to yours ....

and...

Enjoy the destinations too! :D
Thank you for the kind words! Yes, that's exactly why I posted it :D Looks like you're really enjoying your beautiful sailboat. Can't wait to get to some of my "destinations" too.