AD16 (Tipsy) Myrtle Beach

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by Bogieman »

Jeff wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:39 pm Nice start Bogie!!!! Jeff
Thanks Jeff!

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

It was too cold and windy all weekend to work outside, so I brought the bottom panels inside the house and spliced them. It was a bit of an undertaking because you don't realize how big these panels are until you're trying to negotiate around your wife's things :lol: . I'm happy how they turned out. I spliced one side Friday morning (2 splices) and let it cure for 24 hrs. I then spliced the other (2 splices) side Saturday morning. By Sunday morning everything was cured and strong.

I think I did an okay job on keeping the waste to a minimum, but I'm not really sure. What do you guys think?

I used an old shot glass to measure out my epoxy resin. For two splices I used (2) shots of part A and (1) shot of part B Slow cure speed. I used a chip brush to work the resin into the tape and then used an old playing card to pull out the excess. The first two pics were taken as the epoxy started to cure (approx 90 min). The other two pics (pics without my exercise weights) were taken on Sunday after everything was completely cured.
I should also mention that I did NOT cover the taped splices with plastic as they cured.I only used the weights to keep the panels perfectly flat while the were curing.

Bogie
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Looks good to me. No butt blocks in this plan?
Tony

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

terrulian wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:07 pm Looks good to me. No butt blocks in this plan?
Thanks, Tony! Nope, no butt blocks at all.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

Man! That many shots and I wouldn't even think about taping anything! :lol:

Looks very good! Hope the weather starts warming up over there soon.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

:lol:
OrangeQuest wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:47 pm Man! That many shots and I wouldn't even think about taping anything! :lol:

Looks very good! Hope the weather starts warming up over there soon.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Today I measured /drew out / cut out the three pieces that make up one full length side panel. I should have it spliced sometime over the next few days. Once that is done I will use it as a pattern for the other side.

Having a blast so far. Even managed to get my first injury when I slid a sheet of plywood down the entire length of my shin. Good times :lol:

Hope all of you are having as much fun and enjoyment as I am.

Bogie

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

That plywood has little tiny, TINY splinters! That has got to hurt! :cry:

Maybe long pants next time you get near that stuff!

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

OrangeQuest wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:32 pm That plywood has little tiny, TINY splinters! That has got to hurt! :cry:
Yup, I've met with several tiny splinters already. :lol:

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

Reminds me a few years ago we got a tandem axle trailer to haul our tour kayaks. I would climb in the center to start the straps to tie down the boat. I would hit the first axle with one leg and next step hit the second one. Both shins had dents and cuts for 6 months. :roll: