AD16 (Tipsy) Myrtle Beach

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by Bogieman »

Thanks everyone!

Karl, I'm trying to follow in your footsteps with hopes of presenting another beautiful Adelie at the end of this journey. I've been doing a mix of working inside and outside. I usually bring the panels inside to lay out the measurements, then take them outside to cut them and then back inside for splicing. It should be nice enough in a few weeks to do everything outside.

Bogie

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

I had the family over this afternoon for a cookout and some cold beers and they were kind enough to oblige me in holding the panels in place for this picture. My brother in-law (at the bow) snatched up my wife's sunglasses because he forgot his. Lol! Anyway, I wanted to take a picture like this to show other prospective Adelie builders just how big she really is.
Attachments
Group pic.jpg

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

It will be a lot bigger than that when you get to the sanding and fairing part :lol:

But when the waves start building it will not seem too large at all :wink:

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:32 pm It will be a lot bigger than that when you get to the sanding and fairing part :lol:

But when the waves start building it will not seem too large at all :wink:
:lol:

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice photo Bogie!!!! And yes, the AD16 is not a small craft!! Jeff

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Jeff wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:49 am Nice photo Bogie!!!!
Thanks Jeff!

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

I spent today's build time tracing, cutting and splicing the second side panel. It was easy because I was able to use the other completed panel as a pattern. Tomorrow morning I'll flip the panel and complete the splices on the other side. I am also planning to complete the stem piece this week. I'll be stitching in no time.

Bogie

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Now is the time to consider using the side panels as templates for cutting the rub rails. Not sure how they're built on that boat, but if they are laminated from plywood then you'll find they won't want to bend in two directions. So if you cut the profile now, they only have to bend in one.
Tony

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

terrulian wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:36 pm Now is the time to consider using the side panels as templates for cutting the rub rails. Not sure how they're built on that boat, but if they are laminated from plywood then you'll find they won't want to bend in two directions. So if you cut the profile now, they only have to bend in one.
Great idea! Thank you.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Here's a pic of today's progress. My plan had been to work on the stem because it's the last item I need in order to begin the stitching process. Anyway, because the two stem pieces were positioned precariously between the centerboard and CB case (nesting) on the same 1/2" plywood sheet I decided to forego the stem and work on the centerboard and CB case instead.

I don't plan to work on the centerboard until later on in the build but I needed to cut out at least 1 of its 3 pieces so I could get the CB case /pivot area figured out and aligned. This was a fun day with a lot of measuring and double and triple checking. Everything seems to be right on the money.

Bogie
Attachments
centerboard and keelbox.jpg