AD16 (Tipsy) Myrtle Beach

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by terrulian »

The natural light from the sun has been amplifying all of the imperpections on the hull as it changes position in the sky throughout the day so it sort of acts like a natural guide coat.
Yes, good lighting is really essential and is difficult for those of us who work inside. Of course, working outside has its drawbacks as well. That said, a guide coat won't add any work at all. You can just take a rag with some graphite powder on it and wipe it on the hull before you use the long board. Cracker Larry used water but I haven't tried that.
Tony

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

I did the glide coat with yellow spray paint (FS14). I put it on very lightly. Saw too much work! The LM18 will get the right paint job, I'm going to try the graphite Tony wrote about. I still have that can of yellow spray paint... as backup!

Bogieman, she is looking great! Just looked at your first photos of the build... You have come far my friend.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Thanks fellas!

I appreciate the kind words and suggestions. Sooooo I went out there first thing Sunday and that morning sun really illuminated the shortcoming of my fairing job 8O . I grabbed a pencil and circled all the bad spots then I hit it with more micro balloons. Today I sanded again. Tomorrow morning I'll get out there early and have a look at her. If she still looks good I'll hit the spots with primer again. I might end up doing the guide coat after that

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

I'm painting Tipsy' hull tomorrow :D Three rounds of fairing and two coats of primer was all it took. Sanding the second coat of S3 really made a huge difference, all the blemishes (at least the ones I couldn't live with) just disappeared. I will be using Pettit EZpoxy (seafoam green ) on the bottom and 2/3rds up the sides and Interlux (mediterranean white) on everything else. Can't wait for tomorrow :D

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Big day tomorrow! I hope it all goes well for you.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Remember 95% of her beauty comes from floating in the water.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Hope you have great weather today!!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Bogie, have a good painting day today!!! Jeff

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Thanks OQ, Jeff, CaptUB and Fuzz!

Waiting for the morning dew to burn off. I'll post some pics this evening :D

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Well, here she is after one coat. The finish isn’t perfect but I’m happy how it turned out . Tomorrow I am going to give it a light sanding and then another coat. I love the EZpoxy seafoam green😀 I had debated about doing a boot stripe but in the end I decided to bring the seafoam further up the sides instead
Attachments
1164CBAB-8AE4-4E7C-AD11-B7603A0BF1E7.jpeg
A9C67AC9-A3AE-4621-86DD-0BF6127EEAD5.jpeg
6715780E-2DD7-4650-A770-127EADFBFB7C.jpeg
C2ACCA3E-70AB-4F1B-AEDB-1989136740C6.jpeg
8AD3C0E0-1B90-4CDE-8D70-EFC6448DD2CC.jpeg