AD16 (Tipsy) Myrtle Beach

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by Jeff »

Great photos Bogie!!! Jeff

Rtorres2411
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rtorres2411 »

Nice sailing pictures. With that type of rig, how far can Tipsy point into the wind? I see your average speed was 2.7 knots. What was your top speed under sail? Did you try full sail? looks like you have a reef in your sail.
Sorry for all the questions, I’m a sailing nut and always interested in sailboat performances :D. Tipsy is one proud looking sailboat.

Ruben

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Rtorres2411 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:06 pm Nice sailing pictures. With that type of rig, how far can Tipsy point into the wind? I see your average speed was 2.7 knots. What was your top speed under sail? Did you try full sail? looks like you have a reef in your sail.
Sorry for all the questions, I’m a sailing nut and always interested in sailboat performances :D. Tipsy is one proud looking sailboat.

Ruben
Hi Ruben! Thank you!
The rig is Jacques modified Chinese lug (it’s one of the sail options)
Pointing: I know this is not possible but it seems like she can sail directly into the wind
Reefing: on each of the first two trips I kept two Reefs in the entire time
Speed: our speed is showing 2.8 knits because at one point we quit sailing and just drifted for an hour and enjoyed a couple cold beers
Top speed : i’m not sure what our top speed was under sail-if I had to guess I would say at least six knots because there were a couple times when we were really flying. Our top speed happened while we were motor sailing

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Thank you everyone for all the kind words help and encouragement!

Jeff- thank you for giving me my Bateau Builder title :D

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Next time you're out, use a compass to judge wind direction. Then you'll have to adjust for variation which is on the chart or perhaps shown on the gps. Then, judge the difference between the wind direction and your course on the chartplotter. It should be about 45 degrees.
Tony

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

All I know is on that drift, I'd have dropped a line. I can't function without trying to fish!

Great post and a relief from pandemics.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

terrulian wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:32 pm Next time you're out, use a compass to judge wind direction. Then you'll have to adjust for variation which is on the chart or perhaps shown on the gps. Then, judge the difference between the wind direction and your course on the chartplotter. It should be about 45 degrees.
Ok thank you !

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 4:44 pm All I know is on that drift, I'd have dropped a line. I can't function without trying to fish!

Great post and a relief from pandemics.
Thanks Fallguy! My brother-in-law towed a line for about a half an hour but nothing was biting

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

What did he have on the line?

I was in San Diego harbor once and if the fish in the sea killed your bait, they wouldn't take it, but if it was moving; you could not keep them off. It was the damndest thing I have experienced. The first mate kept telling me to change to a livelier bait.

No need to answer, just the fisherman talkin!
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

I missed a lot in the last few weeks...

Great job Bogie.

Check out this site for graphics

https://www.westmarine.com/WestSelector ... t-Graphics