AD16 (Tipsy) Myrtle Beach

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by Bogieman »

Capt UB wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:27 pm I missed a lot in the last few weeks...

Great job Bogie.

Check out this site for graphics

https://www.westmarine.com/WestSelector ... t-Graphics
Thanks CaptUB!

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

The wife and I took Tipsy down to Murrells Inlet for a day of fresh air, sun and seafood. We anchored up close to the marsh walk and goat island ( a small 2 or 3 acres island where some goats live during the warm months). We bought a few pounds of fresh local shrimp but got the crabs the old fashion way. We did a broil and yum!😀

We had a really great time just don’t ask me how the docking went at the end. I’ve got a lot to learn
Attachments
0586E28C-9C49-4C23-BE23-FF662200CCC1.jpeg
27635E53-BB86-4C3F-A9BC-32964380E08A.jpeg
713C40F8-430A-44D0-992F-8F7A0B5CCCF0.jpeg
A17A4FCC-686C-4C35-A511-E69027D01851.jpeg
F4DEE51E-941F-427B-A903-F8C5BEC9D00A.jpeg
CAE8388C-78E9-46C5-A916-1F412F1396F6.jpeg
219602DE-719B-44E6-9489-3CC807AECF70.jpeg
D25701EB-9BE6-4501-9C92-4458F74A3158.jpeg
3F6CC92E-0FEB-45B4-BC59-26496D6A94FD.jpeg
B72E683C-4CFA-4512-BA1E-68BFB3174690.jpeg
8A79D411-FE3B-42ED-B0FE-3A4F07A4FCEB.jpeg

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

ARE YOU COOKING IN TIPSY ALREADY!!!??? 8O 8O

That is some good looking food there!!

Did you dock under power and did it the JFK way? :lol: :lol: :lol:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good stuff Bogie!!!! Enjoy, Jeff

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

OrangeQuest wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:12 pm ARE YOU COOKING IN TIPSY ALREADY!!!??? 8O 8O

That is some good looking food there!!

Did you dock under power and did it the JFK way? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hi OQ!
It was my first time cooking onboard. It was really windy and I couldn’t get the pot hot enough so I took it into the cabin.
About the landing. We came in to a busy dock ( the Murrells inlet boat ramps have a terrible set up). The wind behind us and as we got close I realized we were being pushed to fast- I shifted into neutral but once I did that I had no steering ( I didn’t bring the rudder and was just steering with the motor) and the wind started to push us sideways. We went nose first too fast into the dock and ran into the steel piling. It put a crease in my bowstem but didn’t break the wood, glass or paint. As this was happening I had scrambled forward on top of the cabin and just as we hit I tried to jump off onto the dock and grab her before she could get away from the dock- well I lost my footing and went for a swim. I cut my knee up on the dock. My poor wife was in the boat with a look of shock. A nice lady at the dock grabbed one of our lines and tied her up as I was hauling myself back onto the dock. Pretty dang embarrassing .She can be difficult to dock as access to the bow area is diuficult. Also she is very wind sensitive and hard to control at slow speed when it’s windy. I have a lot to learn. Think I need to approach the dock with the nose into the wind (if possible ) and steer with the tiller instead of the motor itself

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Man, how I wish I had a video of that. Classic!!! You got it almost perfect! No steerage! Bang into the dock! Skipper in the water!! Good stuff!

I've been teaching sailing, which means teaching docking, for 25 years. I wish I could say I never, ever, do anything stupid. :oops:
Tony

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

terrulian wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:53 pm Man, how I wish I had a video of that. Classic!!! You got it almost perfect! No steerage! Bang into the dock! Skipper in the water!! Good stuff!

I've been teaching sailing, which means teaching docking, for 25 years. I wish I could say I never, ever, do anything stupid. :oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Well, at least you picked a busy day at the ramp to show everyone you have a few things to learn!
Nothing wrong with a few mistakes as long as you learn from them. Remember you are in a sail boat, use the wind.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Good docking story.
My old buddy bought a 32 foot sail boat. first boat he has had in 40 years. I go with him on his first trip out with the boat. Leaving all goes well but returning............not so much. The harbour has over 20 foot of tide so the current can run pretty hard at times also. When we go to land he cuts the power thinking we are coming in too hot. Between the wind and tide the bow blows off to port quickly. The next thing we know the stern is facing his slip so we just back in :D A young man comes over to catch our lines and then tells my buddy how impressed he was with the docking. My buddy is still green and can not speak so just smiles at him. Better to be lucky than good sometimes.
As we are leaving the young guy is going out on a 20 foot power boat with two friends. One of them is driving and gets all messed up and is pinned on the boats across the fairway. I hear him telling the driver " The old guys backed a sail boat into their slip and you can not drive this thing out of yours" :lol: :lol:

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

OrangeQuest wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:38 pm Well, at least you picked a busy day at the ramp to show everyone you have a few things to learn!
Nothing wrong with a few mistakes as long as you learn from them. Remember you are in a sail boat, use the wind.
Lol!

Trying to sail up to a busy dock would be disastrous . With me at the helm