CV 16 Caravelle - Wyvern

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

It should be a MUCH quicker build with the dagger board, but I think you definitely want to bring those mid frames up to reinforce it, as on the plans detail.

Here's the CB case being test fit...

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage ... =244&pos=1

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage ... =244&pos=2

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage ... =244&pos=3

That large hole in the battery box area is for the wires to the Battery. Did the hole have to be that large? No. But I also use the large hole to stick my hand in there and inspect or tighten a clamp on the midframe under the seat. The clamp holds clear tubing which serves as electrical conduit (I can tell quickly if water found its way into the system). An access plate is bolted over the hole with a small 5200 sealed passage for the wires.

Since you are not doing any of this sort of thing, be encouraged! Your boat should go together much quicker, much much quicker, especially if you do a quick seal under the seats and use the foam. I spent a lot of time glassing under there and sealing it very well (yikes) so I can inspect and wash it well. The foam makes all that unnecessary. If you want yours done, forget the brightwork, unless you 5200 on some simple trim of thin stock. There are many such things I would do differently, but this one must be finished as is first. I would bolt on more extras rather than laminating them on. All those curves and joints take time to finsih! Keep your boat basically stock and it will go together fast. If you want to be a mad modifier like me, you can always do that after having gone for a sail, and fishing. If you like my mods, we'll chat about how you can do the same more easily, after you've painted it and splashed it.

Have fun finding time. It surely finds us.

ks

Leon_Steyns
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Leon_Steyns »

KS,

I'm going to say it again: you're not building a boat. It's a sculpture, a piece of contemporary art pretending to be a boat! Just look at that glossy finish! Which, by the way, you keep referring to as "primer" :) :wink:

Don't pay any attention to my comments: I'm just jealous... :oops: 8)
Greets, Leon Steyns.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

I'm going to hand the thread back to ChrisObee. I'll add to my thread later. Leon... but it is primer... :)

ks