Jaysen's Mini 580 plan -- on indefinite pause :(

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Jaysen's Mini 580 plan

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:38 am Yes. Glass heavier. 2-4mm wood is heavier too. The option was 10 or 12 and we successfully argued that 12 would not bend to the curves. That left 9 with concerns of strengthening which resulted “more glass” solution. I think we are good though as now the entire hull is one size ply. I may clean out Jeff’s 9mm at some point. :)

And yes on sourcing. The architect is polish. Poland still makes 10mm ply. He offered to supply until the price of shipping and import was raised. It isn’t just US but many other build area only have imperial equivalents available.

10-4~good luck
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Plans are available to purchase March 21. That seems simple... Except the class originator is Australian, the plan developer is in Poland, the hosting is in the US. So when exactly does March 21 start?

I'm wearing out the F5 key on my keyboard....
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Jaysen wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:43 am Plans are available to purchase March 21. That seems simple... Except the class originator is Australian, the plan developer is in Poland, the hosting is in the US. So when exactly does March 21 start?

I'm wearing out the F5 key on my keyboard....
GMT?

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Hoping. Just hope f5 lasts that long.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I HAVE AN ORDER!!!

Too bad I have to wait to Monday to get the formal purchase completed. US banking laws seem to force manual interaction for international money wires. Monday I'll work with a bank to get the Euros over to them. Then comes the interaction with designer and the next waiting games start.
Last edited by Jaysen on Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

8)
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Thanks to some research an assistance from Jane (that name should ring a bell with GGR followers) I am confirmed with my purchase of the plans!

Now we wait for the designer to get back with the needed "check list" and for the plans to show up at my door. Can't want to get this show on the road!

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Yep, I know who Jane is.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

This is fun! Seriously.

Being in the ground floor of the a new class means there are things that need figured out. Ply thickness availability is driving changes. Lack of built hulls representing various skill levels make weight minimums unknown at this point. All this makes questions like ply type selection difficult. If I can get to weigh in early enough then I’m an input to the decision making. If I’m late and light then I’ve potentially wasted dollars on oakume (looks like the EU sika builds are mostly pine based from the photos).

At this point We’ve reduced the ply to
1 sheet 6mm
23 sheets 9mm

Need plans to see need for dimensioned lumber and gusset ply. Getting closer!

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Even if your hull ends up light, would that not be better? I assume you would then be required to add additional ballast, which could be located to best effect, rather than distributed more or less evenly throughout the hull? Honestly it sounds like kind of a shit show if the designer didn't even take into account what materials would be commonly available to the majority of prospective builders of an international class boat. I could not see Jacques making that mistake. :lol: