HC14 to Sailing Trimaran!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: HC14 to Sailing Trimaran!

Post by narfi »

I think I figured out how to make it way too strong.... Now just need to figure out a compromise of too tough to ever break and too heavy to float.....
Capture.JPG

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

narfi wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:09 pm I think I figured out how to make it way too strong.... Now just need to figure out a compromise of too tough to ever break and too heavy to float.....

I like where you're going with that. I was skeptical before I saw the drawing. You may be able to hollow out those gussets to shave weight.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

VT_Jeff wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:47 pm
narfi wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:09 pm I think I figured out how to make it way too strong.... Now just need to figure out a compromise of too tough to ever break and too heavy to float.....

I like where you're going with that. I was skeptical before I saw the drawing. You may be able to hollow out those gussets to shave weight.
I should probably also raise it so the case is out of the water o.0 ... oops
heavily laden the canoe would sit kind of low and in theory with a strong wind or gust the outrigger could submerge to the deck, that means in extreme configuration (heavy canoe w/ outrigger nearly submerged) there is only an inch or two of clearance between the beam and the water. So I should probably build the bottom of the case flush with the bottom of the beam, and support the rest of the case above.... Question is how tall does the case need to be in order to support the board? Gusseted like that I imagine its nearly as stout as if the case was in the hull supported by top deck and bottom of hull, so I doubt I need it taller than the hull, but maybe I could get away with even shorter?

I imagine in my head the board stuck in a socket in the wall and me attempting a pull up on the end sticking out 5-6ft.... how deep does the socket need to be and how stout does the board need to be for that to work? Is that way overkill? I suspect it is.....

Is there any real advantage to two symmetrical boards vs 1 if they are not going to be housed inside the hulls? My thoughts when building in the hulls was to slant them in a little for a little extra lift, but other than that is there any advantage other than symmetry? If there was an advantage I could build two beam mounted cases as close to the outer hulls as possible instead of one offset as close to the center hull as possible.... I suppose they could be smaller then and have less load on each one, however isn't most(all?) of the load on the leeward hull and so in turn if the boards are far outboard only the leeward board would be beneficial?
One other possible advantage is that the weight would be symmetrical and outboard acting as ballast on the flying hull..... my guess is that for a conversion project like this that will be over weight and not a racer that it really wont matter much.... thoughts anyone?

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

narfi wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:52 am
VT_Jeff wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:47 pm

I should probably also raise it so the case is out of the water o.0 ... oops
heavily laden the canoe would sit kind of low and in theory with a strong wind or gust the outrigger could submerge to the deck, that means in extreme configuration (heavy canoe w/ outrigger nearly submerged) there is only an inch or two of clearance between the beam and the water. So I should probably build the bottom of the case flush with the bottom of the beam, and support the rest of the case above.... Question is how tall does the case need to be in order to support the board? Gusseted like that I imagine its nearly as stout as if the case was in the hull supported by top deck and bottom of hull, so I doubt I need it taller than the hull, but maybe I could get away with even shorter?

I imagine in my head the board stuck in a socket in the wall and me attempting a pull up on the end sticking out 5-6ft.... how deep does the socket need to be and how stout does the board need to be for that to work? Is that way overkill? I suspect it is.....

Is there any real advantage to two symmetrical boards vs 1 if they are not going to be housed inside the hulls? My thoughts when building in the hulls was to slant them in a little for a little extra lift, but other than that is there any advantage other than symmetry? If there was an advantage I could build two beam mounted cases as close to the outer hulls as possible instead of one offset as close to the center hull as possible.... I suppose they could be smaller then and have less load on each one, however isn't most(all?) of the load on the leeward hull and so in turn if the boards are far outboard only the leeward board would be beneficial?
One other possible advantage is that the weight would be symmetrical and outboard acting as ballast on the flying hull..... my guess is that for a conversion project like this that will be over weight and not a racer that it really wont matter much.... thoughts anyone?
As much as I like your gusset idea, I'd be really inclined to reconsider a simple lee board, at least out of the gate. You get strength, ease of mounting and ease of adjustment, all for free, and it will give a simple indication of how much board you really need in the water. I suspect it's not much give the shape of the canoe/ama, they will help to resist lateral sliding quite a bit on their own in my guesstimation.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Sanded and shaped the outer seams last night and this afternoon.
I could have spent a little more time on the bow curve, but it's purely asthetic and I'm trying to be quick instead of pretty as much as I can force myself to.

Then my wife helped tape all the seams. She mixed and I applied.
First time using woven tapes, I think they went ok. I was careful at the bow and did it with a shorter strip so it would form around the curve better.

My intent has been to follow up with a layer of 6oz cloth but as stiff as the hulls were with just the inside taped, I'm toying with the idea of just fairing in this tape and calling it done.... Will see how it feels after it cures. The full top deck will add even more stiffness to it..... Thoughts?
20210515_181134.jpg
20210515_181152.jpg
20210515_181208.jpg

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I always want every piece of wood to be glassed over. With the added cost of getting materials to where you live I would not take any chances with what the build. but that is just me :wink:

cape man

Post by cape man »

I'm with Jeff and David. With those three hulls and the leeward one being dug in, I don't think you need the dagger board and gusset, or even a leeboard. Thats a pretty sharp keel you have made on them that will help a lot with preventing it from slipping. She'll track without them. If you have it, or can wait to get it, a piece of 4 ounce woven cloth will provide some abrasion resistance on the outside and not add much weight.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Cut and dry fit the cleats for attaching the decks. I think should provide good gluing surface area. Hopefully get them glued in tomorow with thickened epoxy.

Just for fun laid the mast ends on benches and sat on the middle, it held me fine though I was nervous and listening for any creaking or cracking. Fully dressed with my mud boots on I'm just over 200lbs. Roughly 23ft between the benches.
20210516_172126.jpg
20210516_172148.jpg

cape man

Post by cape man »

Your sail will rip or the boat capsize before the mast will break! Looking good.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work Narfi!!!! Jeff