HC14 to Sailing Trimaran!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: HC14 to Sailing Trimaran!

Post by narfi »

Finally something fun to show.

I sanded the fairing material off of the beams and the outrigger hulls yesterday. Still some weave visible but keep trying to remind myself it's an experiment and I can't waste time making it pretty.

Spent some time squaring and leveling. All four peices are level and it's identical distance from each bow to outside corner of the opposite transom. Wife helped me with the leveling and squaring as well as turning the beams over to apply a coat of epoxy and then thickened epoxy before lifting them back into place.

I am pretty happy with it, however it is a huge footprint, probably won't get it back in the tent now.... How long can I keep it outside in the weak Alaska UV before it causes issues with the epoxy? Am I good for a couple of weeks before painting as I finish up all the boys and peices or will I need to be tarping it daily between projects?
20210622_204618.jpg
20210622_204637.jpg

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I bet you can get away with all summer pretty easy.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Tabbed the beams in with 12oz biax.

Cut the rudders down and formed solid end caps for the first one.

Traced the end on a solid block then cut it out on the band saw, then freehand shaped the end with a combination of the belt sander and RO sander.

Need to do one more set for the other rudder as well as the leeboard.
20210623_200444.jpg
20210623_200326.jpg

cape man

Post by cape man »

You have gone crazy and I love it! Can't wait to see it all together and functional.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

cape man wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:10 pm You have gone crazy and I love it! Can't wait to see it all together and functional.
Well it's kind of fun, I usually don't know what the heck I'm doing but somehow it always ends up ok.....

I think there is a quote out there somewhere about angels guarding idiots..... I might be proof if that.

Finished cutting the end peices and shaping them and glued them on. Held in place with plastic tape and a strip of duct tape over it all. I forgot to mark the spars before closing them up..... Think I'll hinge the rudders through the end caps but was planning to hinge the leeboard through the spar.... I think I can guess close enough though.
20210624_215615.jpg

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Last piece of the sectional couch came in so got the legs on it and in place. I'm happy with it and wife is happy so all is good!!

Sanded the excess glue off the rudder and board cap ends and glassed them on with 2 layers of 6oz woven. Will still need to give the corners some glass and attention.

Loosely set the canoe into place under the beams to look and think. Will block the canoe roughly 2 inches under the beams which will make the "V" of the outriggers just slightly above the bottom of the canoe.
20210626_075609.jpg
20210626_081454.jpg
20210626_081645.jpg

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

This is going to be interesting to see how it all works out.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Sanded down the edges of the glass over the rudder and board caps.

Drilled pivot holes in the rudders, board and cases.
Had worried I didn't mark the spar on the board before capping it in. But realized I had the bits I trimmed off so it was a non issue, I just laid the scrap against it to see where the spar was for drilling the pivot hole.

I messed up making the case for the board and the front spacer is full height but it needs a gap for the board to pivot through, so I'll need to trim a bit of that out.

Still not sure on hinges for between the rudder cases and transoms. Maybe glass in some PEX just like I did on the mast... Still thinking about it, but need to start doing something.......
20210626_201103.jpg
20210626_201132.jpg
20210626_201226.jpg

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Over drilled all the holes in the boards and cases and filled with thickened epoxy.
Made sample hinges to see how they would work. PEX glassed on the end of some scrap plywood, will grind out sections so they fit together and see how they hinge with a pin.
Cut and glued together the blocks and brackets for attaching the beams to the canoe rubrail.
20210627_204142.jpg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Narfi, this is really a cool project!! I cant wait to see her in the water!!! Jeff