HC14 to Sailing Trimaran!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: HC14 to Sailing Trimaran!

Post by narfi »

Glued in all the cleats with epoxy thickened with wood flour. Installed a couple of spreaders in the bow compartments to widen the top out a bit and add a little more bouyancy up front if they get submerged.

Took a look at my last eight 12ft 1x4s I will use for the box beams. Not pretty, and 2 of them have small split sections.... I will try to balance them, best 4 pieces for the tops and bottoms and the worst for the webs with one each of the worst on each beam web..... I think the big box beams are overkill so hoping it will be ok with the inferior wood I am using.
20210517_193617.jpg
20210517_193627.jpg
20210517_193648.jpg

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Didn't have a lot of time tonight, but was able to cut and glue in the shroud attach bracket mounting reinforcements. 1 layer of 1/8th pretty large to spread the load and a slightly smaller layer of 1/2" the sticks are just wedged in to hold the bottom portion in place while the glue cures.

Guess the hulls are port and starboard now..... Untill this point they were simetrical.
20210518_165623.jpg

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

narfi wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:45 am shroud attach bracket mounting reinforcements.
"Chain plate backers" is the sailing term, I believe.

Maybe paint one hull green and the other red?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:32 am
narfi wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:45 am shroud attach bracket mounting reinforcements.
"Chain plate backers" is the sailing term, I believe.

Yes. Anything that is attaching a shroud is a chain plate. Stay attachment point are still chain plates but are typically named (forestay chain plate). On my Helms the shrouds all use identical plates but the stay plates are all different.

Tony might pop in here and call me names. If he does I deserve it.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

VT_Jeff wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:32 am "Chain plate backers" is the sailing term, I believe.

Thanks, it's good for me to learn proper terminology :)
The boat is red and white so red won't contrast much.... And I don't have any quality green paint. So they will be red or white :p
Jaysen wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:16 am Yes. Anything that is attaching a shroud is a chain plate. Stay attachment point are still chain plates but are typically named (forestay chain plate). On my Helms the shrouds all use identical plates but the stay plates are all different.

Tony might pop in here and call me names. If he does I deserve it.
I have some 1/8" aluminum I will be making the chain plates from and probably the bracket on the mast as well as the mast cap(?) To mount my halyard sheive (pulley) from.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

narfi wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:19 am halyard sheive (pulley)
Block.

This is fun! :lol:
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:09 am
narfi wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:19 am halyard sheive (pulley)
Block.

This will get ugly fast.

For some reason the blocks up the mast are sheaves. These are part of the mast head and are typically cassette stacks of multiple blocks (you buy a set for number of halyards; in my case it is main, jib, spin, topping main, topping spin).

Any other wheel you use to route a line is a block. If the block can be removed from the line without pulling the line through the block it is a snatch block (typically used to route sheets from jib when flying on the pole and when flying the spin.

A pulley is something you use NOT ON A BOAT.

Don’t get me started on winches vs capstan.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

VT_Jeff wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:09 am Block.

Jaysen wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:32 am
This will get ugly fast.

For some reason the blocks up the mast are sheaves. These are part of the mast head and are typically cassette stacks of multiple blocks (you buy a set for number of halyards; in my case it is main, jib, spin, topping main, topping spin).

Any other wheel you use to route a line is a block. If the block can be removed from the line without pulling the line through the block it is a snatch block (typically used to route sheets from jib when flying on the pole and when flying the spin.

A pulley is something you use NOT ON A BOAT.

Don’t get me started on winches vs capstan.
hehe.... slow down I can attempt one new term at a time......
I had thought that a block was the assembly (pulley and bracket that houses the pulley) and the sheave was the pulley itself(just the round thing). Close? or not at all?

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Things that are correct not on a boat are not correct on a boat. Technically a sheave is any grooved wheel on an axle (think v groove, u groove or slots for toothed belt). No groove and it is a pulley. Don’t ask, that’s the technical definitions.

On land your block definition is correct. One could say it is correct on a boat as you never really see a sheave outside a context that would meet the definition. You could even say that mast head sheaves meet that definition as well since they are in the mast which serves as the block housing.

It gets a lot more fun when you start looking at through deck or on deck line management. Are they sheaves like the mast or blocks? Everyone calls them blocks.

Next up for pedantic discussion when is a cleat not a cleat and when are things clearly not a cleat called cleats?

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

I think block is more function and sheave is more component. I think originally blocks were literally just blocks, of wood.

I'm literally about to start typing object oriented abstractions of a block interface and a sheave implementation, so I'll just leave it at that.

When I take people sailing, I really enjoy introducing the language/terms. Like "come up" instead of "turn right". All part of the fun. You need those discussion topics when you're maxing out at 6 knots.