HC14 to Sailing Trimaran!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: HC14 to Sailing Trimaran!

Post by cape man »

Looking awesome! Like the fox!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I agree with Cape Man!!

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Simplicate!

I have been thinking about the daggerboards and calculating placement etc... I didn't want a leeboard because of aesthetics, for some reason they always look kind of clunky, but then I realized that's just they look like a 1x6 plank bolted to the side of a canoe....

I think I will mount it to the rear face of the forward beam as close to the canoe as is practical, but with a similar retract system as the rudder(s) and a long nice foil shape painted instead of brite.

This will serve two huge benefits for me, 1. I don't need to cut into my outrigger hulls. and 2. I don't need to calculate anything, a long foil on a hinge will allow me to move it way forward or aft of what I could possibly want, so I can experiment with how far down I drop it and then when I find its happy spot can mark it for ease, then if/when I add another sail to the front, I can adjust for that as well depending on configuration.

So if this idea works, I just need to design/copy/reverse engineer someone smarter than me a good rudder and retract system and scale it differently between my rudders and leeboard or (off)center board or whatever the appropriate name should be.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Nice progress, and I'm enjoying following your process.

That fox looks like he's been eating good!
Hank

cape man

Post by cape man »

Here's some ideas from the Book Canoe Rig - The Essence and the Art
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

I think I sent this before, but a great book...

https://www.amazon.com/Canoe-Rig-Essenc ... 0626&psc=1

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

narfi wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:54 pm
I think I will mount it to the rear face of the forward beam as close to the canoe as is practical
Narfi, will that mounting position be able to resist the considerable side load the board will be under? My impression is that the side loading of the dagger board will be a lot more considerable than the rudder.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

VT_Jeff wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:23 pm
narfi wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:54 pm
I think I will mount it to the rear face of the forward beam as close to the canoe as is practical
Narfi, will that mounting position be able to resist the considerable side load the board will be under? My impression is that the side loading of the dagger board will be a lot more considerable than the rudder.
That is true, and reading the adventures of the guy you linked me to yesterday can cause real life issues.... I still cant see his pictures though :/
I like the idea of the simplicity of exterior mounting of whatever board system I end up with.... Just need to figure out an elegant way of doing it. I am a terrible mix of stubborn, cheap, and wanting it to look nice while being easy and quick to build..... something has to give :)

Interestingly the guy most vocal and helpful for that guy you linked me is also the author of the book Cape Man just recommended ..... too bad its hard back only, my cheap side kicked back in (even though I just ordered 6more gallons of epoxy :/ ) would love to see it as an ebook on amazon, I would probably buy that.

all those systems are common sense approaches, the cabling, routing etc... I will figure out once I have it all assembled on how it will fit and look best with the beams etc.... I actually have experience with two/three rudder systems from working on float planes, their water rudders even retract.... the problem is I need to be careful not to over engineer based on those experiences :)

back to lee/dagger boards.....
I was thinking something like this, where the blue lines are supports attached on the same hinge line plane so it will stay same tension at any angle of deployment.
Capture.JPG
a bungie or spring or cable to pully under the beam would pull it down and cable with pully on top of the beam would retract it and/or set depth/angle of deployment.

Playing with sizing in my head..... 10-12" x 1" at its thickest and just under 7ft long, 1ft above the hinge point for bracing and 6ft between beams so it needs to clear, should give me way more than needed and can be cut down if needed later once balance is figured out. Hinge point will be within inches of the mast, so it will definitely need to be angled back quite a bit, but should be doable I think....

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Installed the two bulkheads in each hull, filleted and glass taped into place.
Then flipped them and filled all the seams with epoxy/wood flour.
You can see how muddy it is in some of the pictures, that doesn't show the worst of it :( I have to wear mud boots to work in there. Break up has been rough this year.

Ordered more epoxy from BBC. Also got some 6oz woven tapes. I've not used them before but hoping they will give a cleaner (less labor and sanding) exterior for the hulls. Tape all the seams which basically covers the entire hull since panels are roughly 6in each and then sand fill fair before covering entirely with 6oz cloth. So the outside will basically be 6+6oz woven and inside 6oz biax. Will see how it works....
20210505_183822.jpg
20210505_183840.jpg
20210505_183854.jpg
20210505_183915.jpg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Well done Narfi!!!! Jeff