AD16 - Cool Change

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: AD16 - Cool Change

Post by jacquesmm »

An easy solution is to find a used spi of about that size or smaller.
Use it, see what it dies and then decide.
Some types are easier to use, some are more powerful, some are better downwind others let you sail closer.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

ArizonaBuilder
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by ArizonaBuilder »

What would we do without Wikipedia.

A gennaker is a sail that was developed around 1990. Used when sailing downwind, it is a cross between a genoa and a spinnaker. It is asymmetric like a genoa, but the gennaker is not attached to the forestay like a jib or genoa. The gennaker is rigged like a spinnaker but the tack is fastened to the hull or to a bowsprit. It has greater camber than a genoa (but significantly less camber than a spinnaker). This is optimal for generating lift at larger angles of attack.

The gennaker is a specialty sail primarily used on racing boats to bridge the performance gap between a genoa and a spinnaker. It is sometimes the only downwind sail on board because it is easier to use and less expensive than a spinnaker. Due to its geometry, the sail is less prone to collapsing than a spinnaker. The differences that distinguish a gennaker from an asymmetric spinnaker are blurry; they are both high camber downwind sails. One difference is the amount of camber, which dictates the points of sail. A gennaker is optimal for a beam reach, while an asymmetric spinnaker is optimal for a broad reach or run.

So it looks like I want a gennaker/crusing sail that is optimal for a beam reach to a broad reach.
Now I will see what sailrite can come up with for Cool Change.
Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
-- Benjamin Franklin

Rick
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rick »

ArizonaBuilder wrote:She loves the boat. She is actually pushing to get something larger in the upper 20's. She would love to try some coastal sailing from cabo to vancouver.
Thanks for the sailing reports. I've never sailed north of Ventura, but I have lots of friends who have, and even the guys in the 40-50 foot offshore racers don't like the central California coast. There's not much to do there other than sailing from harbor to harbor, either. Here's an unsolicited suggestion, build another "Just Right" and trailer her up to the Puget Sound/Georgia Straits area. You could spend a whole summer cruising in this area without ever having to deal with the north Pacific Ocean. Having seen a 65-foot fishing boat driven onto the beach in Coos Bay, that piece of ocean makes me nervous. Just a thought...

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot »

It is safer and safer to tor it up here then go sailing lots of sheltered water and tuns of places to go come on up