CV16 Caravelle ks8 - more photos of caprails around Cuddy

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

With little ones, a latch is an invitation to play anyway!

If you went real simple, you could use internal bungee to keep the top on, but again it depends on how heavy the contents of the storage area are, when they fall against the lid when flipping the boat.

I think those latches will work fine, but I'm just not sure of the maintenance in salt water environment. You could *handcraft* latch mechanisms also, from the simple to the stupid complex, but your need for waterproofing will play into whatever would be *handcrafted*, especially when you want it recessed.

Winter is for these subjects, right?! :lol:

A simple recessed bolt latch would also do it, but not be as, well, I guess you'll need to decide what is the most *shippy* way to go. Even a simple recessed bolt latch will gather water if it rains.

ks

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

To Jacques or Fritz or Joel,

Disk quota time again...

I've got more to upload of details showing abiltiy to bright finish over 4 oz cloth, etc. (no more broom men though).

Here, the cuddytop caprails have been fully shaped and final sanded with 100 grit. Next 4 pieces of cloth were prepared for glassing. 1 six oz for the cuddy top, and 3 four oz cloth for the caprail sections.

The cloth is now applied and wetout. The cuddytop 6 oz cloth was the last to go on. Additionally, I filled the weave on the cloth of all caprail cloth except one. When the Disk quota is bumped up, I'll post two detail shots that show the benefit of filling the weave on the cloth, in such a case, while the first wetout coat is not fully cured (and blushed), when bright finishing is a goal, and later tomorrow, I'll post a tutorial on how to construct the worst possible run on sentence, given any particular subject matter, and utilizing redundancy to increase the length of the sentence, until it becomes ridiculously long, so that no one wants to bother getting to the end of it, to see where it finally ends, at the end of it, finally..

Sincerely,
ks

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 »

The pictures better show that Doug Fir stock is under rated as a bright finish wood. It really depends on the grain of the piece. This bow cap is not particularly structural, so I ripped the wood to show off the grain on top. This is already under 4 oz glass with the weave filled with a second coat of clear epoxy laid on after the first wetout coat setup halfway. I really don't want to be blinded by gloss clear LPU here, but it does llok nice and the console can block a glare in to the sun if I slightly slouch. If I go with satin clear I'm wondering if I should bother bright finishing at all. Hey, I can always paint it white later, right?

The grain on the side caprails was cut to run parallel with the top surface to add greater athwartships stiffness (the boat built per plans is plenty strong without this caprail, but I've added *stuff* that I thought could use a little more support, stuff like rod holders for deadsticks while striper fishing), So it does not look nearly as nice as these bow pieces on top. Those pics have to wait til spring.

When a small dimension of trim is added and is not structural, you can have a nice bright grain if you cut the wood to best show off what Fir has got. I like its lighter color, taking summer sun and heat into consideration, and the likelihood of grabbing the sheer while sailing!

Sincerely,
ks

MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MadRus »

Hi ks,

Haven't received anything. Thought this might help...

8)

-Dave
Last edited by MadRus on Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 »

Thanks. I think I spelled it right. You should have it by now. Had a couple of business calls that needed immediate response. Done.

The Jibsheet fairlead photo should be posted by this weekend.

MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MadRus »

That's a lot of alliteration from... I wish I could remember the exact quote from Broadcast News... darn it! Anyway, what's with the "winter widgets"? It looks like something else might slip and lock into them- no?

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 »

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

Any new pic's you want to share with us?

I'm curious about your new avatar, but it's too small to make out exactly what it is - looks like your inner tent has come down too?

T.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 »

Hello Wob,

That picture is two or three years old, when I was finishing the fore deck. That was actually before the cathedral. I need the inspiration of seeing at least part of the boat finished, whenever I add to the threads. :)

I've been fairing the interior and giving it a final seal of epoxy before the final sand and primer. I think I'll post one or two of that tonight (no primer yet). The cold wet weather just broke here, so instead of 50F it's now 85F in the tent! I guess it is character building... :lol:

I may not get to prime before I have to move the boat. Too bad as the bugs are not in full force yet.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 »

Well before this posting... the more complete and current thread can be found here...

http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=330

I figured I'd post this link and make it easier to find the main thread that is up to 23 pages as of today, in a different section. Finished bonding on the stbd rubrail trim today. It gets cleaned up tomorrow. Pictures and text will be on the main thread as per the above link.

:)