Baba’s FL14: MadMax in Toronto

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Gubbs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gubbs »

I had the same thing happen with my V-12. No problems bending the panels. I would say don't worry about it until it becomes a problem.

Cheers

baba101
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by baba101 »

Gubbs wrote:I had the same thing happen with my V-12. No problems bending the panels. I would say don't worry about it until it becomes a problem.

Cheers
I am thinking if one side of the panel is stiffer than the other...that might cause the boat to be lopsided... :!: should I double the mistake and to the same Sh*t to the other side... :?:

I.e a super thin coat of Epoxy on one half of the other panel... :idea:

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by chrisobee »

You could epoxy the other side but I don't think that it will make a big difference. If you do the panels differently just look and see that the shape that is produced on both sides is fair amd similar. If not take it apart and epoxy and reassemble. I think you will find however that the difference is slight.

Gubbs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gubbs »

I had the same situation you have, one coated one not. I did not have any problems.

Cheers

rjezuit
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by rjezuit »

With the relatively thin 1/4" ply, and the number of frames on the FL14, I doubt you will have a problem. Look for smooth curves and a fair hull. The small boats such as the FL series are very forgiving of errors. It is not a planing hull, so shape will be somewhat less important than on a bigger one that planes. I would not worry about it. Rick

ArizonaBuilder
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by ArizonaBuilder »

This ply splintered quite badly when cutting across the grains..changing to different types of Jig Saw blades did not help.
I cut all my pieces using a circular saw with a min 100 tooth blade. Set the blade depth just enough to go through the wood, you can cut most of the curves with the circular saw. For really tight curves I would use the jigsaw.
Long panels are now bonded...kept thinking about peanut butter consistency...looked more like melted Toffee when I applied it...I don't know if it was too much or too little...
Remember, peanut butter for fillets and molasses for glue. :) :)
Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
-- Benjamin Franklin

baba101
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by baba101 »

Guys...THIS is a wicked place to build a boat .... :D

Thanks for all the comments....

baba101
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by baba101 »

ArizonaBuilder wrote:
Remember, peanut butter for fillets and molasses for glue. :) :)
"Molasses"...emmm so its more dilute than Peanut butter...Is that somewhere in the tutorials...?

I put a thin layer on each side...enough to make the grains disapear...and the consistancy was like peanut butter...Will I get a strong bond...? :doh:

Gubbs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gubbs »

Pre-coat ply with unthickened epoxy. then thin layer of peanut butter or molasses. press together. wait. won't be able to pull apart.

Cheers

baba101
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by baba101 »

Gubbs wrote:Pre-coat ply with unthickened epoxy. then thin layer of peanut butter or molasses. press together. wait. won't be able to pull apart.

Cheers
HALALOOYA.... :D I am on a ROLL guys... :wink:
Last edited by baba101 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.