Baba’s FL14: MadMax in Toronto

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
ArizonaBuilder
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by ArizonaBuilder »

baba101 wrote:
ArizonaBuilder wrote:
Remember, peanut butter for fillets and molasses for glue. :) :)
"Molasses"...emmm so its more dilute than Peanut butter...Is that somewhere in the tutorials...?

I put a thin layer on each side...enough to make the grains disapear...and the consistancy was like peanut butter...Will I get a strong bond...? :doh:
You can look at a tutorial here: http://bateau2.com/content/view/99/28/

Jacques refers to the glue as having a consistency of ketup... :)
Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
-- Benjamin Franklin

Barney
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Barney »

Again, I too coated one panel of my V12 with epoxy and not the other, and had no problems bending.

With your jigsaw, I found that if I tried to cut too fast it would sort of tear and splinter the timber instead of making a nice clean cut. When I slowed down and didn't force the jigsaw through the cut I got much better results. I cut the whole boat with one very cheap timber jigsaw blade, and this held true right to the end.

Looks great, keep up the commentary - and Baba, its not just your family waiting to see how you go any more- you've got a whole lot of people from all around the world waiting to see how your boat turns out now! :D Only difference is that we all know you'll do it :lol:

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Barney wrote:Looks great, keep up the commentary - and Baba, its not just your family waiting to see how you go any more- you've got a whole lot of people from all around the world waiting to see how your boat turns out now!
no pressure... :lol: :lol: :lol: 8O

Rich_L
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rich_L »

ks8 wrote:no pressure... :lol: :lol: :lol: 8O
Why is this build taking so long!? 8)
When can we go fishing?

MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MadRus »

Rich, is that a terrier or an Irish wolf hound, or what? Kerry Blue? Maybe you've answered this before.

Rich_L
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rich_L »

MadRus wrote:Rich, is that a terrier or an Irish wolf hound, or what? Kerry Blue? Maybe you've answered this before.

She's an Airedale terrier, 15 years old. And true to the breed, she's still active and curious into old age. But she's obviously pretty laid back in the picture, taken while she waited patiently for me to finish my V12.

Rich
When can we go fishing?

baba101
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by baba101 »

ArizonaBuilder wrote:.......You can look at a tutorial here: http://bateau2.com/content/view/99/28/

Jacques refers to the glue as having a consistency of ketup... :)
Yep...and in the Stitch and Glue 101 Tutoral

Its .... :roll: "Epoxy glue is liquid epoxy resin mixed with woodflour to a peanut butter consistency."

The long panels are still bonding in my icy cooool Garage...I am going to give em two more days.... :(

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

If ice will not melt, then epoxy will not cure

baba101
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by baba101 »

Bottom on top or inside of the Long Panels... :?:

I have seen some builders place the bottom ontop of the Long Panels and other have placed it inside (like the Stitch and Glue 101 Tutorial).
:doh:

Whats your advice...I did not leave any gap on the butt blocks of the side panels to accomodate the bottom inside....but am willing to sand if that is the only way to do it...

Thanks in advance...

rjezuit
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by rjezuit »

I put the plywood on the bottom of the boat, traced the outside, cut and stitched. Then when glassing I put a generous radius at the joint. Rick