FL14 (in Texas) - FINISHED!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
rjezuit
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by rjezuit »

Rick says Baba's overwhelmed with obsessive boat building and is no longer a third person, but one with his craft. Rick

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

truth be told... :lol: boat building helps you find, and lose your third person!

baba101
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by baba101 »

Just trying to keep my post interesting...so the experts continue to read and comment...

Baba is back....! :D

rjezuit
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by rjezuit »

Baba you are doing a great job. I look forward to your posts and progress. Rick

bredstein
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Assembly - second attempt

Post by bredstein »

OK, my speculations were correct. I glued new blocks, this time 6'', and put a tape from the other side:

And it worked - my great-super-home-depot-plywood didn't crack this time! So I installed the frame and the transom.

Drilled more holes and stitched the rest of the frames. I read somewhere online that it is better to connect sides and bottom/transom in such a way that they just slightly touch each other on the edges. So I used pencils and could reserve room for fillets outside.

baba101
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by baba101 »

Looking good buddy.... :D

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Bredstein, (and Baba -edited (thanks Mike- oops)), you're both bringing back fond memories as the hull(s) takes shape. Enjoy these days of quick progress and shaping up. :)

So Bredstein, do you think you'll 6 oz the entire hull to help it last longer? It will be easier and quicker than it was on my CV16, and it will certainly stop any checking with big box exterior fir plywood, but it will also add some weight from the extra $$ cha-ching epoxy. ks is glad he did. All checking stopped in its tracks, everywhere. But I need another person to lift the boat around on its cradle now, where earlier it was a one man one arm job, even with the outer sheathing.

http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage. ... =25&pos=22
Last edited by ks8 on Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Adams
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mike Adams »

Guys, maybe I'm having a senior moment, but I'm confused as to just whose thread this is! :oops: Both Rick and KS seem to be directing their comments to Baba - I thought it was Bredstein's (Austin, TX), not Baba's (Toronto, Canada) but maybe I'm getting mixed up here.

Anyway, whichever of you it is, you're doing a good job and as KS says, it brings back memories!
Mike
FL14 "Lake Dreamer" built.

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 »

Read about the cracked butt blocks, seemed strange since it looks like Berdstein is using very nice plywood and the curve is not that drastic. Could it have been because there was no glue between the joined panels themselves?

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 »

Read about the cracked butt blocks, seemed strange since it looks like Berdstein is using very nice plywood and the curve is not that drastic. Could it have been because there was no glue between the joined panels themselves?