UK D5

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Charlie
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Charlie »

The skeg HAS to point straight down the keel. If you have expectations of progressing upwind at a reasonable pace you have to eliminate anything that will pull you off line.
These little boats a fairly slow downwind and tacking upwind is downright sluggish because they tack at such a severe angle to the wind. So, if you want to get home in time for supper you'll want to try getting everything lined up as as precisely as you can.
Even rowing will be effected by a lop-sided skeg. The short water line and severe rocker allow them to turn on a penny so even something like bad rowing form can throw you off line in an instant. If the boat wants to crab to one side constantly you will not enjoy rowing it.

John D Wiilimann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by John D Wiilimann »

Thanks a lot Jeremy about the info about the trunk,I now have a clearer idea as to how I'm going to deal with it.

Charlie, I'm glad you sent your message, I ended up sawing off the skeg a putting it back on but this time lined up.

Result on http://www.thus.ch/~jd/sailing/D5/FrameSet.htm

There's still a million little things to do but I'm getting there.

I've already put the mast foot in but it needs finishing just like the daggerboard trunk. These were the two makor jobs I dreaded and in fact they were not so bad.

Thanks guys for all comments and suggestions, this is my first boat, in fact this is really my first handy work job since a very long time and it's coming alon nicely and that is partly thanks to you. Ok, the front is a little askew but that gives it character. :D

jeremy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jeremy »

It's looking good. Nice job on the daggerboard trunk.

John D Wiilimann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Thanks Jeremy. :)

I still needed to fully seal the daggerboard trunk when the picture was taken This has been completed by my girlfriend who has smaller hands and she did a very good job(she might actually be a better boatbuilder then me :doh: )

Added a couple of pictures to the site. You can see the mast foot, it's rather messy but thought I wouldn't waste too much time on esthetics on this one as long as it's solid.

Have adjusted the seats and the cleats.

Next step, is going to be the buoyancy foam.

John D Wiilimann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

It's been quite a while since I last posted anything here.

A few more pictures have been added http://www.thus.ch/~jd/sailing/D5/FrameSet.htm

but these are not too recent as I've moved since then.

The new garage is bigger but then it's full of junk, so actually less space.

What's left to do is priming(started) and painting, fix oarloacks and try it out !

I will also have to start on the daggerboard, etc. but that can wait.