Got it!! :D :D :D

Not my boat but it sure is nice! :)

Ted

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:22 pm
by Rick
Another PK78 (still not painted):

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:52 am
by ks8
That's a fine little lady Rick... now get her some clothes so she needn't blush. :oops:

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:06 pm
by tedwright9
Nice job Rick! :D :D :D :D

What kind of wood did you use?

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:28 pm
by Rick
tedwright9 wrote:What kind of wood did you use?
It's my first boat, and a long story.

I bought some locally-available luaun plywood. After cutting out the parts, I kept staring at the veneers until I finally went and bought some 6mm 6566 Okoume plywood for the hull. The transoms are still 3/8" luan, as are the middle and rear seat tops. The front seat, which includes the mast partner, ended up being 3/4-inch fir plywood. The gunwales, breasthooks and knees are Honduras mahogany. The mast step is a chunk of 4x4 fir. The centerboard trunk is 3/8-inch luaun. The blades are recycled from another sailing dinghy and are solid Honduras mahogany (I was lucky to get them). The mast is a pole-vault pole and the sail is also recycled from an older dinghy (but is hardly used). l have another picture of it in its gray primer around here somewhere, but it's too depressing to think about. The primer was no good and never set up right, so my sons and I have to grind it off and start over. *sigh*

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:16 pm
by Mike Adams
Rick wrote:
tedwright9 wrote:What kind of wood did you use?
It's my first boat, and a long story.

l have another picture of it in its gray primer around here somewhere, but it's too depressing to think about. The primer was no good and never set up right, so my sons and I have to grind it off and start over. *sigh*
Hey Rick,
Do what I did - start off doing the job with your sons, then plead old age and slip away for a quiet beer while they finish the job..... :wink: :lol:

Mike

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:19 pm
by bredstein
Rick wrote:The primer was no good and never set up right
Hi Rick, I am sorry to hear about your depressing primer, but could you share a secret - what primer did you use? And how did you prepare the surface? I am almost at the point of priming - just another couple of days fairing - so your advice would be very very helpful!

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:34 am
by Rick
bredstein wrote:Hi Rick, I am sorry to hear about your depressing primer, but could you share a secret - what primer did you use? And how did you prepare the surface? I am almost at the point of priming - just another couple of days fairing - so your advice would be very very helpful!
My problem is that I bought the primer (Interlux) way before I needed it. It ended up sitting in my unheated garage through a Washington winter. I've been told since then that Interlux paint and primer should be used fresh and NEVER allowed to get below freezing.

As for prep, I sanded the epoxy layer over the glass with 60-grit disks and finished with either 80- or 100-grit disks (I don't remember which). The high build primer was great at covering the sanding scratches. There is no reason to sand down to 150 or 220 if you are using high-build primer. The finish paint layer sits on the primer, so I would sand that down to 150, or as many different grits as you have the patience for. I suppose you could go down to 600 or even the auto-body grits, but I figure it's a boat and not a $50,000 custom hot rod, so I'll probably give up at 220.

My number one advice: if the primer doesn't mix up completely -- no lumps or other non-consistent textures -- don't apply it. Consult an expert if the primer doesn't mix right, you might have a problem. Now, I would know that the primer was no good since it had weird colors and had lumps that I could not get to blend in no matter how much I mashed them. If the product isn't right, it's not going to work.

This time, I'm using System Three, from our friends at Bateau.