Little Gem, a C12

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
swidm
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by swidm »

The motor and anchor wells are self draining not the cockpit. For the anchor well, I built it into the boat first then drilled a hole at the bottom aft corner then used thickened epoxy to seal the edges of the plywood. The motor well was a bit harder because of two layers of wood. I cut a small piece of plastic tubing, roughened the exterior and sealed it in using thickened epoxy. I will get photos up for you

I got the hatch design for the lazarette from Ian Outread's "Clinker Boatbuilding Manual." Lots of wonderful ideas in that book both for traditional and nontraditional features on all homebuilt boats (doesn't have to be clinker). The opening has an additional ring of plywood slightly smaller than the opening in the bulkhead and the hatch where weatherstripping is applied. A bungee cord runs from the back of the hatch to an eye on the back of the lazarette which holds the hatch in. The turnbuttons just provide backup in rough weather or when trailering. The hatch is oval because you can pull it out a little, turn it, and slip it out of the way back through the opening. As it turns out, I simply pull it out and down tucking it under the seats. Anyway, pictures are worth a thousand words so I will get detailed pictures up tomorrow.

MADwand
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MADwand »

I was wondering where the drains drain to.

swidm
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by swidm »

it drains outside the hull back into the water. Definitely need it for the anchor well as I got some splashes over the bow from powerboat wake.

MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MadRus »

Wow, I've been waiting a long time to see the finished shots. Nice job! I love that slatted seating and the coaming.

swidm
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by swidm »

I have uploaded pictures with details on the drains for the anchor and motor wells as well as the hatch to the lazarette.

MadRus, you gotta realize that a homebuilt boat is never done! I was just looking at router tables so that I can make a larger diameter birdsmouth mast since the one I have was bending visibly in 5-8mph winds 8O ! I also sketched out a two bow dodger to fit over the front part of the cockpit where I plan on putting in a laced-in canvas berth. I was initially thinking of a removable cabin but a dodger is a lot easier to store and will work just as good if not better. SeaPearls have a nice dodger which makes a little cabin space. My dodger will be 18" tall (from bottom of coaming). 48" long (frame 30" long with 12" slope in the front and 6" slope in the back), and 46" wide where the bimini frame attaches to the inside bottom of the coaming. I plan on a window in the front and two on the sides that have bugscreen and flaps to cover them zipped from the inside. I may even go to the extent of adding plastic windows to the flaps so that I can see out when it is cold or raining. Well, you get the idea and probably a lot more information than you cared for! I do plan on doing the three day BEER cruise in this boat for 2008.

Here are a few of the new pictures and you can look in my album at: http://forums.bateau2.com/thumbnails.ph ... 419&page=3 for more descriptions.

Image Image

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

Excellent work all the way around. You've taken that boat to a whole new level. I may borrow a few ideas when I get around to building my V10. :D
CC, D15, V10

swidm
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by swidm »

Seeing as how many of the things I did to the boat are borrowed from other folks go right ahead and borrow away! I have had a lot of fun in the modifying especially since I have two other boats (MacGregor 26D and a 12' dory of my own design) to sail while working on this one. If this was my only boat to hit the water with I probably wouldn't have done any of these modifications!

swidm
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by swidm »

I did some sketches for the dodger I am thinking about making for my c12 to convert it to a camp boat. I originally was going to build a removable cabin trunk out of plywood but realized a cloth dodger would be just as functional, much more stowable, and (with lots of windows) much cooler in our warm climate. On the BEER cruise I noticed most people ended up sleeping in thier cockpits rather than cabins (including me) because most boats with cabins don't have enough air circulation. One advantage of open boat cruising! Add to that the breathable canvass berths I plan on lacing in and I will have a great one person cruiser. I have posted the following sketches in my gallery with comments but am also going to put them here in the hopes of generating suggestions or comments.

This first picture shows the 2 bow framing for the dodger. It is backwards from the normal bimini but a prop under the forward support bars would allow me to partially collapse the bimini creating a spray shield.

The next two pictures show what the dodger would look like on the boat. The windows would have bugscreen which could be covered by a flap of sunbrella zipped from the inside. I would also probably add small plastic windows in the flaps so that I could look out and get light even when it was raining.

Image Image

MADwand
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MADwand »

Your anchor well must have a false bottom in it? At the point your hole is drilled is only about 3/4 down on mine, mine is open all the way to the V bottom, well below the waterline. I had considered a drain into the forward cockpit, but then I would need TWO because the mast step is directly in the center on the forward bulkhead. Then even if I did it, it would only drain into the forward cockpit's TWO halves with nowhere to go unless I added TWO hull drains, then if I did that, I might as well add TWO more hull drains on the other side of the centerboard box as well. I'd wind up with 4 hull drains in a 12" area on the bottommost curve of the boat. I don't know about doing that. It sure would be nice though, when the boat has 50 gallons of water in it after a rain (it is covered, that's all from running down the angled mast) and it's on the trailer and can't be moved.

swidm
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by swidm »

Yes, I put a bottom in my anchor that was wel above the waterline. Makes it easier to reach into the bottom of the well as well. A drain in the bottom of the boat is real nice for when it is sitting on a trailer. I was driving from Kansas to Ohio towing a Stevenson Pocket Cruiser in an absolute downpour. I had to stop on the side of the freeway every 20 minutes or less to bail out 5" of water in the open cockpit. Not much fun especially when semi's roar past. I put in a drain after that experience.

I do not have a drain in my C12 as of yet. She lives in the garage and I have lucked out with weather when towing. If I ever put a drain in I would probably put in a self-bailer in the cockpit area. I do need to put a boot around the mast to prevent water from entering that way.