Little Gem, a C12

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Now do we get to see you *booking* in the new version? :)

swidm
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by swidm »

repeat
Last edited by swidm on Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swidm
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by swidm »

.Need someone to keep up with me to get that picture :lol: . I have sailed a lot of different boats but that is probably the best picture of me sailing that has been taken.

Though I would mention that I loaded some new pictures showing my rudder v3 and daggerboard v3. Much better than the previous version giving great balance and control at very low speeds. The rudder and daggerboard combination give enough balance that I can let go of the rudder when going to windward and the boat continues in a straight line even when heeled over.

Image Image Image

MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MadRus »

I really like the dodger plan too. Can't get enough of the changes you've made and the evolution of this boat. I've always liked the design. And yeah, more action shots like the earlier ones would be most welcome.

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by chrisobee »

Have you considered beefing up the mast you have rather than build a new one? You should be able to buy the sock style glass or use a combo of carbon fiber and glass. Either way I would imagine that this would stiffen up you current mast considerably.

swidm
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by swidm »

The current mast is recycled from another boat I built. It actually is the first mast I built and is laminated out of two pieces of douglas fir with 16 oz. fiberglass down the middle. I guess I could use more of the 16oz cloth I still have to beef it up but that is a lot of money in epoxy to wet it out. Besides, visually a bigger diameter mast would look better on the boat. More like the catboats of old. I have a lumberyard right around the corner from my house where I can get sitka spruce and a birdsmouth mast sounds like an interesting challenge!

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by chrisobee »

I saw your boat at the Cleveland boat show a few years ago. Its interesting to see the changes over time.

MADwand
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MADwand »

Why not a sleeve of carbon fiber on the outside, like I did mine? http://www.madwand.org/C12/carbonfiber.htm

swidm
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by swidm »

I will have to think about that.

swidm
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by swidm »

I went ahead and bought enough lumber for two mast. I am going to make one laminated from two 2X4's and plane it round with a total cost in lumber of $12. The other mast will be a birds-mouth which I primarily plan on building for the fun of it like a lot of things I have done to this boat.