PK78 Ready for Sail

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

Beautiful boat - love the colour and the bright wood!

I didn't even know you were building another boat (possibly shows I don't read this section often)!

Congrats,

Tim.

MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MadRus »

Thanks Tim. No, I finished the hull two years ago and have been enjoying the boat since then, rowing only. I only just got to the sailing parts- sail, db, rudder, etc. So, I haven't had her out under sail yet, but she rows very well. I fish out of her sometimes, when I feel like doing some rowing.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Great job! Of course we need pictures underway, sailing off the top of a breaker? :lol:

Gee, that color looks familiar... 8)

Of course, at this point, mine is only *virtual*.

Congrats, and get us those pictures while sailing. :)

kmccullum
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by kmccullum »

Looks great! Let us know how she does on the water.

One minor piece of advice. From the pictures it looks like your mast is smaller in diameter compared to the holes it fits in. This will give you a bit of play in the mast that you may not like. Some kind of plastic insert may be in order to tighten it up. You'll know for sure after your first sail.

Kurt

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

MadRus, haven't been back since I saw your first Post of the pictures. But, definately if you do not do the delrin Jeremy suggested. Do like Kurt recommended, and do some kind of donut to close up the sloppyness of the mast in its holes. You will find the sailing much easier and more fun if you don't have to deal with that on top of everything else.

Red skys at night

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MadRus »

Thanks guys, good to know. I'll either go the Delrin route, or go the other way and make a sleeve for the mast at the partner. I don't know if it's going to keep me off the water though. :)

I think I should have waited to cut those holes until I had the mast complete. Live and learn.

-Dave

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Nice job, Dave :!: I love sailing if I don't have any where I have to be at a certain time.

I would make a bushing. Maybe you can find a piece of PVC pipe the right size?
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

By all means Dave get on the water. Whats keeping you! You showed us some pictures of your pretty boat and none of you on the water! :D :lol:

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MadRus »

Thanks Larry, yes, I looked into the bushing idea and even thought about a simple wedge to keep things from shifting. I've been thinking it over, and I may just dam-up the partner from below, fill with epoxy/woodflour and redrill to a tighter size. Then perhaps wrap the mast in that area with a leather. The problem is, my mast is hand shucked :), so it's not exactly round, but more of an oblong shape.

We'll see. I like the Delrin idea, but it's quite expensive. The thinking continues. The sailing does not. Tom, I need to find some hours and lump them together. I'm sure you know what I mean.

gk108

Post by gk108 »

Hey Dave, a cheap easy bearing for your mast could be made with a couple of pieces of plastic cutting board material. Not as high tech as delrin, but would serve the purpose.
Also, have you checked http://www.mcmaster.com/ for delrin?
CC, D15, V10