My FS14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Julkkis
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: My FS14

Post by Julkkis »

Hello!

It certainly has been a while, but she is finally splashed! Great boat it turned out to be, not as fast as i expected but works great. With a 20HP 1975 Evinrude i get 35 KPH with two people and fishing gear... Really stable and planes smoothly. In chop it splashes a bit if not going full throttle. I still have some painting to do, but i figured to do the rest in between fishing trips, slowly :-)

Only have a single image from an island where we stopped to cook some sausage, etc. And quality isn't too good... Image

Now, next one is most likely going to be HM19... I'll order the plans as soon as i have a place to build.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention about the speed: My boat is heavier than on the plans, there are 9 mm plywood floors on top of the stringers that add a bit. And Evinrude used to rate the engine horsepower from the crank shaft so the real engine power(from the propeller) is maybe around 17 HP? All in all i am satisfied with the boat and learned a lot in making it. Will post a few more pics once i've got the camera around.

Cascadie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cascadie »

Very nice setting! A beautiful place to stop for lunch, congratulations on your project.

Julkkis
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Julkkis »

Update;

Did another trip nearby the island in that photo before last weekend; spent the night there with two other guys camping, and... The wind picked up, bad. 16-20 m/s on the sea and the three of us with all the gear couldn't get the boat up on plane even underway. During the night the anchor rope broke loose, and in the morning we hauled the boat to the shore.

We waited on the island, half a day for the wind to calm down, to no avail.
In the end, when the waves started to look a bit more calm we came limping back(25 KM...) through huge waves, taking in lots of water(thank god for a bilge pump). The waves came over the front, from the sides and on some occations even over the back.

Now, we were all wet, cold and tired once we got back but as far as the boat goes everything held together fine, except for the keel. The keel is all broken to pieces, in splinters(must've been broken mostly during the night.) Now i gotta fix the keel...

But all in all, she got us back safely and now i have 100% confident on her! A tad small for going out on the sea even on sheltered locations but i gotta say that the boat is something you really can rely on, even on bad conditions!

sds
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sds »

Yikes julkiss. Glad you got through, and the boat.

I guess that water is pretty cold. :help: