GK's V10

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

Some more info on the jig for the scarf joints in the mast.
While building my D15, I learned the hard way that I needed to improve my method of joining planks.

A scarfing jig for my router seemed like the best solution. Two parts were needed, a base to clamp to and a sled for the router to ride on.

I used a taper jig for my table saw to cut side rails for the base. It's sized to fit up to a 1×6. I removed the plastic base plate of the router and replaced it with the sled which is simply leftover ¼" meranti with some stiffening cleats around the perimeter.

The end cleats are on the bottom to limit travel of the sled so that the ¾" router bit won't cut into the sides of the base. A few test cuts showed that some shims between the router and sled were needed to get things as square as possible. A couple thicknesses of paper card under one side did the trick.

The end of the base has been relieved to keep the sled supported on the thin end of the cut. The metal spacer keeps the edge of the stock parallel to the tapered base sides. You could use a longer sacrificial wood strip instead of metal. Ordinarily, this would not be used for plywood, but for purposes of illustration this scrap of 9mm is used. In use, I just worked with the planks on sawhorses and clamped the base on each plank with 2 clamps.

Before cutting I set the bit depth to the level of the relieved portion of the base and zero it. Set the stock just to the edge of the relieved area to get a sharp point on the taper. Back the bit depth off and cut no more than an eighth inch depth at a pass and make successive passes until you get back to zero. If you hog the cut, the stock will vibrate too much and start to chip.
That last picture is good enough to show some details in hi-res:
http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... rfjig5.jpg

The results after laminating into a mast.
CC, D15, V10

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Nice jig, GK and great explanation. I appreciate you posting that. I'll have to build one of those. I really need to start using my routers more. I have 3, a PC with 2 bases, fixed and plunge, an old Craftsman looks like yours that I keep mounted on a table, and a small trim router. For some reason it is always the last tool I turn to, when a lot of times it should be the first. I need to work on that.

That sail looks great. I've never tried making a sail, always relied on Hood and North for that.
A rope is a rope, unless it's connected to something, then it's a line. Unless that line is a sheet or halyard or something.

Not being picky but technically there are only 2 ropes on a sailboat. The rope sewn in the luff of a sail is called a luff rope. The pull cord on a ship's bell is called a bell rope. Anything else in loose lengths are called lines. When they are doing something then they become sheets, halyards, guys, rode or whatever specific to the task. Laying loose in the locker it is always a line. :lol:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Also wanted to say that's a beautiful scarf joint above 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

gk108

Post by gk108 »

I've been working on appendages for the last few weeks. For right now, I've put the kick-up rudder plans on the shelf and made a rudder as drawn on the plans. I reasoned that if my rudder is dragging in a 10' dinghy, I'd just get out and walk. Daggerboard per plans as well. Both are made from a 1×12 radiata pine plank.

The tiller was a great exercise. It's 2 pieces of 9mm and 2 pieces of fir laminated. Both the plywood and the fir are tapered on the sides. The ply was tapered down to about 4mm with a belt sander, then the sanded faces were glued together so that the center plies successively taper to a point. Then I drilled dowel holes and glued 1×3 fir on each side. I roughed the shape on my bandsaw and finished with a lot of belt sanding. It should look interesting after it's bright finished.

I guess it's about time to get some plywood and build a boat for all of this. :oops:
CC, D15, V10

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

GK I showed your thread to a co-worker who is thinking about building. He liked your thread maybe he will get the build virus. Great job on your build :!: ....Richard
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

gk108

Post by gk108 »

Thanks Richard. I almost messed up my daggerboard. My dad came down from Indiana to see his new great-granddaughter last week. I put some parts in my van to show him what I've been doing and left the daggerboard in there all week. That 1×12 didn't like the humidity and it developed a nice warp. It's all dried out and straightened up now, though. The first suitable day that comes along, I'm going to get those parts sealed up. Maybe today.
CC, D15, V10

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Hope it warms up there soon. Where did you get that variac thing :doh:

Richard
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12

gk108

Post by gk108 »

That variac is some of the industrial surplus stuff that we get ahold of sometimes. I got that one and 2 others from vibratory feeders for a machine that inserted glass fuses in the fusebox for some Ford car. That particular variac was a little damaged, so I put it in the green box and added volt and amp meters and use it for bench work. It is handy for things like controlling the temp on my big soldering iron, slowing down the router, etc. Not so good for induction motors like the bandsaw and drill press, as it tends to overheat them.
CC, D15, V10

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Might have to get me one of them gizmos...
Richard

gk108

Post by gk108 »

I kinda thought the okoume BS1088 would look a little better than this.
Maybe I can nest my way around it. :|
CC, D15, V10