Trebuchet's FL12

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Trebuchet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Trebuchet »

We got the first layer of rubrail glued up. Unfortunately some weather is on the way so we couldn't get a second one today. Maybe tomorrow.

Here's some more really bad pictures.

Hope2float
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Hope2float »

Hey Tre

Boat looks great. I must be on a black list I can't seem to get a simple answer on epoxy build up for finish. I would like to have some areas done bright. I will offer my 2c on the epoxy coating. I dont know the level of detail you are looking for, but a foam hot dog roller seemed to apply the epoxy the best. It gives you a very uniform light coat 1/3 the useage of a chip brush. Sanding is tough on this stuff. Best to keep it to a minimum.

Dave

Bart
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Bart »

I would not recommend a foam roller, they suck up a lot of epoxy and tend to get hot after a while, when the epoxy in the foam starts to cure.
I'm using a fur roller instead, works better for me.
Make boats, not war.

Check out www.bartloeff.nl

Hope2float
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Hope2float »

It is true that it does suck up alot of epoxy, but the area that can be coated in such a short time is worth the extra epoxy. I didn't try the cloth one yet, but I will. The foam can be compressed at the end on coating to extract the epoxy. This just my opinion and only one form that I have tried. Also remember to keep epoxy as thin as possible while in tray for coating this will extend application time. I'm no expert on building methods, but I will try all suggestions at least once. For me this is a practice boat, because I already have plans, motor and plywood for P-21.
The dremel with the small barrel sander makes quick work of sanding epoxy in the tight corners. Be careful only to clean up fillets then switch to 1/4 sheet sander for tight corner work. the dremel requires light touch or it can do damage!!!

Trebuchet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Trebuchet »

Thanks for the tips. I actually used a small 4" foam roller to give the inside a nice even coat. It worked very well.

The inside is completely glassed in, I've got it all coated in epoxy, and the rub rail is glued up. We've flipped it over, and have started to round over the corners a bit to get ready for the bottom glassing. Also ran a fillet over the corner of the rubrail and hull to make it look prettier. Just have a whole bunch more sanding to do. They aren't kidding when they say that the sander is what will be used the most in this type of construction. I'm wishing I had the ability to plunk down some cash for a really nice Dual action RO... especially one that I could attach a vacuum to, and that would accept standard sanding pads. I have a "Mouse" sander, and it takes funky sanding pads that the corner hardware store doesn't stock. I've got to drive out to the big guys in order to get it.

On another note, I bought a battery charger for my camera, so I can take decent pictures again. Although, this picture didn't turn out very well because I didn't have enough light.

Also bought a bow eye, and hope to get that installed soon. Also, want to buy some flotation foam, quick fair and some high build primer. I'm leaning more and more to porch paint. I'll have to check with my accountant (the wife).

Trebuchet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Trebuchet »

Did a whole bunch more sanding today. Although, doesn't look like much progress. Will probably glass the chines tomorrow if the weather cooperates. Here's some more pictures.

Bart

Post by Bart »

Good work! Nice plywood too.
Are you gonna keep it clear or paint it in a color?
Make boats, not war.

Check out www.bartloeff.nl

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

It looks fair. Do yourself a favor and complete all the outside tape joints at the same time - it will be much easier. Cut all the tape to length ahead of time.

rikkyh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by rikkyh »

It's looking really good! Great work!!

Trebuchet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Trebuchet »

Thanks guys! It's been a lot of fun so far.

I intend to paint it. Haven't decided on a color yet though.

Unfortunately the weather hasn't been cooperating... nothing but rain the last two days. Hopefully soon we'll be able to lay down the glass on the chines. The shed is too small to fit both us and the boat at the same time, and I don't have a garage, so we have to work outside.