MICKS FL12 BUILD

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mickmac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mickmac »

Thanks dogfish,
work has kinda got in the way again this week, shouldn't complain though, the work situation isn't great here at the moment, i'll update as soon as i make some progress,
thanks again for the reply, mick 8O

hwsiii
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by hwsiii »

It looks reallyyyy good Mick. I think bright work on a boat looks so good. It just seems the right thing to do to finish it off right. I intend on finishing my rub rail bright. I also want to do the foredeck with a faux inlay pattern and the gunwales bright as well. In my opinion there is nothing like some bright work on a boat.

H

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Those rails will look nice! If they get too hot on top in the summer, you could paint the tops white and they will still look beautiful, if you work hard to get a good clean line on the paint. Being rubrails, don't worry when they get scratched, but make sure they stay sealed. Mahogany can rot with exposure to water, faster than you imagine. Salt water not so bad, but fresh, like rain or dew, or wash down from the hose, and it may start. A very easy and quick inspection each time she gets back home. :D

What sort of wood flour did you use for the lamination?

I made my own from mahog belt sanding, and had to slightly lighten it in places with other blends. Mahog wood flour is almost black in an epoxy blend.

mickmac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mickmac »

hi ks8,
i made woodflour by putting shavings through the blender :D , didn't really work out too well,was still too course, even though it looked as fine as the bought stuff... lesson learnt....so went with the white in the end, i still think (hope!) that it'll look ok once sealed and varnished...... :roll: i radiused the glue line under the rail quite small, so it should be easier to mask off for a clean paint line... we shall see i guess :!: and as far as the heat aspect in the summer goes, shouldn't be a problem.... this is ireland!!! cheers, Mick 8O

mickmac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mickmac »

Hi all :lol:
at last got to the garage for a couple of hours today, made these for the transom.....
they should tie in with the rubrails nicely.... maybe :doh:
i'll sand it all on monday and sort out the bow, then i'll pay some attention to the seat tops, knees and breasthook.....
will post some better pics when it's all cleaned up and sanded...
till next time, mick :x

mickmac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mickmac »

Hi all :lol:
a little more progress today, pesky work keeps getting in the way though :!: a little sanding today (alot!) and i think the rubrails are starting to look pretty good?
i'm really enjoying this bit of the build, it's a bit more what i'm used to......
just got to glue in the small transom top sections, then that's all done... will have a go at breasthook and elbows.. (knees?) tomorrow.... :doh:
till next time, Mick 8)

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Looking very nice Mick, more like a cabinet than a boat. :D Proud of ya man!

Tom

mickmac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mickmac »

cheers tom,
well i was thinking if it don't float, i'll fill it up with soil and use it as a planter!! :lol:

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Naw put glass on top and make a large coffee table :!: :lol:

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

Or put barstools next to it and make it a happy hour bar, hmmm wonder what name to give this bar :P