Another Cracker GF12

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Another Cracker GF12

Post by Cracker Larry »

One more request. Can I see a pic of the inside of the rear transom? I am curious how much clamping board that you have left.
Funny you should mention that, I was about to point it out but I see you are thinking clearly and correctly 8) One change leads to another. Here ya go...

I have 5 " of clamping board left, that's plenty, but your idea of cutting the transom down first, then making the clamping board makes sense, especially since you are lowering the sheer. That's probably a better approach than mine. My projects tend to evolve, rather than be engineered from the start, but the end usually hides the means :lol:

As you surmised, the rear seat is almost 15" high. With a 15" transom we will either have to lower the seat, or make a cut out in the rear seat top to provide clearance for the motor clamps. Not sure yet just how I'll handle that, I don't think good when my brain gets over 100 degrees.

Think I'm going to give it a rest and head for Lowes, pick up some yellow pine for battens and a couple dozen disposable brushes.

Keep on thinkin' AH, keep us out of trouble :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Moving right along, slow but sure. It's so hot here we built a fire to cool off :?

The next step was to glue in the bow and stern transoms. I figured if I was glueing anyway, might as well fillet and tape also. Everything is easier wet on wet, so that's what we did. First opened up the joint and pre-coat with epoxy, then pack it full of glue. Tighten the screws just enough and maintain a gap, build the fillets, brush again with resin and lay the tape. Got both transoms glued and taped.

Cut and fit all the cleats, and made an additional frame in the bow compartment for a floatation chamber. The forward section of the bow will be filled with foam. Notice the cleats that run along the side are kerfed about every 1". This lets them curve to fit the sides.

I lowered the front deck 1 1/2" and shortened it about the same amount. No particular reason, just looks better to me. Then trimmed all the tape edges and did a little more sanding. Tomorrow I'll glue in all the cleats.

Cut the building short today with an impromptu deer hunt, which led to other things... :D
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Lookin' good C.L. You'll have it completely done before I even get my primer down :oops:

By the way: What kinda deer are you huntin' in June in GA?

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Thanks Will. Flop eared whitetails :wink:

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

I know how you feel in the heat CL. I poured some charcoal in the grill today and before I got the lighter fluid on it good, it burst into flames.

Tried painting with some alkyd enamel at lunch yesterday and could only do about a square foot at a time roll and tip before it started getting tacky and that was still a little too slow.

Jbo

gk108

Post by gk108 »

Just wait until it warms on up in August. 8)
CC, D15, V10

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Aint that the truth Gary. Yesterday was only the first day of summer.
I poured some charcoal in the grill today and before I got the lighter fluid on it good, it burst into flames.
I believe that! One of my neighbors storage sheds burned down yesterday. He'd just dug potatoes 2 weeks ago and had them stacked in bins in his shed, just like he's done for the last 40 years. They spontaneously combusted 8O and burned down the whole thing. No kidding. green potatoes :help:

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

He'd just dug potatoes 2 weeks ago and had them stacked in bins in his shed

Sounds to me like some pretty potent vodka :D
C.L. did you get any of those pesky little rabbits?

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Yep, we got a few, dang 100 pound bean eaters.

Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Murry »

You have mastered the gf's haven't you Larry! She's going together so nicely.

Does the 12 have the same amount of freeboard as the 16?